California peds residency as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey I'm a VCOM 2016 student. I have the exact same issue. Most of my family is in Cali and I went to school there. I'm literally dying to get back PLUS I'm very interested in Peds, FM and IM too--too early to make a final call yet. I wish I was able to actually offer you some advice instead of asking more questions but if you get ANY info about this please let me know? I know you guys are studying for boards. GOOD LUCK.
 
hey! the good news is there a lot of peds programs in California, many of which are in LA. I would say the ones that are most likely to take DO students (and FMGs) are Harbor-UCLA, USC, and UCSF-Fresno. Just look at their current classes and you'll see DOs and FMGs are common. Certainly you should still apply to all of the programs that you might want to attend becuase you never know. I dont know much about the Kaiser programs but you may try that as well. Loma Linda? UC Irvine? There are plenty of options. Although there are no DOs/IMGs in my intern class, i know there is a senior who is a DO so obviously its not an immediate rejection.

For family there are even more programs and I am sure for IM as well, but I don't know these two specialties that well.