California pharmacy schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rju

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a quick question about pharmacy schools in California. I know they don't require the pcat but I heard that once you graduate from a school from California, you can ONLY practice pharmacy in the California state and No other state. I have tried to find information but I have not turned up anything. Can anyone verify t his information for me? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I had a quick question about pharmacy schools in California. I know they don't require the pcat but I heard that once you graduate from a school from California, you can ONLY practice pharmacy in the California state and No other state. I have tried to find information but I have not turned up anything. Can anyone verify t his information for me? Thank you

I never heard anything like that before. You can practice anywhere you would like in the states if you have a PharmD; as long as you're licensed to practice in that state.

Hi,

What? No... if for no other reason that you simply won't want to leave the amazing state of CA when you graduate.

I haven't heard of this whatsoever. if ANYTHING, you're even more qualified as a pharmacist because you're being prepped for CPJE as well as the NAPLEX.

I think that wherever you heard that has some info wrong.

It's about where you get licensed, not where you went to school. Granted, as a student in CA it should be easier to get licensed in CA than another state, but there's nothing forbidding getting licensed in another state.
I think you may be confusing California's lack of granting reciprocity as a limit to where you can practice.
California will not accept any other state's license to practice as a license to practice in California. Since we're snobs, other states do the same to us. Therefore if you're licensed in CA you can only practice in CA (or in federal facilities.)
If, on the other hand, you get licensed in AZ (regardless of where you went to school) you can apply to have your license reciprocated to, oh let's say MN, and as long as you meet the criteria...voila, you're now licensed in MN. I'm not sure of all the criteria (taking the state's MPJE, pay extra fees,or something?)
Other people can speak better to this, but this is probably a decent start.