California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University (CSPM) Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weirdy

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed on 5/1..

and accepted 5/3!! Received a call from Dr. Choate and was given the good news! Couldn't remember details of scholarships, but somewhere around 20k-25k for the first year. Most likely will be attending, still waiting to interview at RFU, Kent, and LECOM!

Last edited:
Interviewed on 5/1..

and accepted 5/3!! Received a call from Dr. Choate and was given the good news! Couldn't remember details of scholarships, but somewhere around 20k-25k for the first year. Most likely will be attending, still waiting to interview at RFU, Kent, and LECOM!
I would really be hesitant coming to CSPM/SMUCPM lol. The board rates are abysmal (69% on part i over the past three years), which is significantly below average. Pre-clinical years used to be a lot better, but there is a lot of professor turnover in important classes. Not to mention just how wicked expensive tuition+bay area COL is. Even with your large scholarship.

CSPM used to be good, but not anymore.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would really be hesitant coming to CSPM/SMUCPM lol. The board rates are abysmal (69% on part i over the past three years), which is significantly below average. Pre-clinical years used to be a lot better, but there is a lot of professor turnover in important classes. Not to mention just how wicked expensive tuition+bay area COL is. Even with your large scholarship.

CSPM used to be good, but not anymore.

I have consider that, esp looking at the board rates. Lowest among all the schools- though not sure if it's due to covid or the program itself. Other programs didn't seem to have a problem during the past few years during covid, so it really makes you second guess the program. Will need to do a bit more research before I fully commit for sure!

My top schools are RFU and SMU (mainly b/c my sister lives in SF and owns a house, so i'd be living with her 30mins away from campus, and most of my relatives are in northern Cal. I just have a better support system in Cali.) The house is already paid off, so i would just be helping with utilities, so attending SMU is ideal for me cause COL would be pretty much non-existent).

I'm mainly interested in RFU for the research opportunities and board rates are good. If I get an Acceptance, i'd have to visit the campus and get a feel for the school. I also have relatives in chicago, so I wouldn't be against attending RFU if it was an option.

Wondering if someone who attended SMU or is a current student could talk a bit more about how the school helps preps their students for boards :unsure:, I did ask this during my interview to the student interviewer, but they were just starting to study for their boards.

I'm mainly interested in RFU for the research opportunities and board rates are good. If I get an Acceptance, i'd have to visit the campus and get a feel for the school. I also have relatives in chicago, so I wouldn't be against attending RFU if it was an option.
Wait.... are they so desperate for bodies right now youre getting acceptances without even interviewing in person at the campus/school?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Wait.... are they so desperate for bodies right now youre getting acceptances without even interviewing in person at the campus/school?
That's strange, I know last year they had in person interviews. I'm sure there is some aspect of desperation, and perhaps they just don't want you to see that every other building on that street going toward school is abandoned and gutted.

Reactions: 1 users
No Idea honestly.

Also got accepted to Kent State, LECOM, and RFU. But all my interviews were online, and 3 of the 4 schools that I interviewed at were fairly quick.. about 10mins. SMU was about 30min.

I cant imagine going on campus just to talk for 10mins

No Idea honestly.

Also got accepted to Kent State, LECOM, and RFU. But all my interviews were online, and 3 of the 4 schools that I interviewed at were fairly quick.. about 10mins. SMU was about 30min.

My interviews were all about 6 hours plus or minus. Its been awhile.

Reactions: 1 user
No Idea honestly.

I can’t imagine an interview for any graduate level health profession school being 10 minutes long. Podiatry never ceases to amaze me.

Reactions: 1 users
"For the next draft pick, the SF 69ers select..." sorry I will never forget this meme, can't wait for next summer's pass rate

Reactions: 3 users
I have consider that, esp looking at the board rates. Lowest among all the schools- though not sure if it's due to covid or the program itself. Other programs didn't seem to have a problem during the past few years during covid, so it really makes you second guess the program. Will need to do a bit more research before I fully commit for sure!

My top schools are RFU and SMU (mainly b/c my sister lives in SF and owns a house, so i'd be living with her 30mins away from campus, and most of my relatives are in northern Cal. I just have a better support system in Cali.) The house is already paid off, so i would just be helping with utilities, so attending SMU is ideal for me cause COL would be pretty much non-existent).

Wondering if someone who attended SMU or is a current student could talk a bit more about how the school helps preps their students for boards :unsure:, I did ask this during my interview to the student interviewer, but they were just starting to study for their boards.
I'm a current student at CSPM studying for boards atm. PM me if you want!

Looks like SMU/CSPM is building a brand new state of the art campus in downtown Oakland. With this and two new schools - full steam ahead Vision 2050.

• Sad
Looks like SMU/CSPM is building a brand new state of the art campus in downtown Oakland. With this and two new schools - full steam ahead Vision 2050.
SMU is 99 percent nursing, if the admissions for CSPM keep falling i'm certain SMU will close podiatry. Probably wishful thinking though.

Completely uncalled for. Didn't know I was in a field of vultures.
chill haha, go study boards so you can be one of the 69 percent who pass!

You don't know what they know yet.
You are still in school.

Point being- focus on your boards and continue helping the prepods here.
Reserve your judgement on what they say for after you've completed residency and have been out working for a few years.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
We‘re addressing these issues because the school needs to improve on these areas. Podiatry school is a big investment and we’re all rooting for your success. Good luck with your exam!

Its not like your whole investment and future career rely on passing this board or anything...

31% have to walk away from the profession at SMU because they werent able to pass a written test. Sad.

Personally I would be studying and not on SDN.