Californios

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quit wasting your time defending our great state. We love it and some don't (don't really know why). Anyway, just let them be because if we need to *try* to convince someone that this place is great, its hopeless anyway. And less SoCal vs. NorCal stuff because that's like comparing Chili Dogs and Chocolate - they're both perfect but we all have different tastes.

Anyway, respekt da sig :thumbup:
|
|
|
V

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: :laugh: Funny Jeffy!

We dont need any more people in Cali anyway. ;)

Thanks for stealing my location, DeterminedMD +pissed+ +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
No more badmouthing Cali, or you'll have to answer to....

arnold_schwarzenegger_07.jpg

Seeing LauraMac's USC interview thread descend into an L.A.-bashing was just too painful to ignore. People don't understand how good we have it in the Au'en State.

Jeffy said:
Seeing LauraMac's USC interview thread descend into an L.A.-bashing was just too painful to ignore. People don't understand how good we have it in the Au'en State.

Oh-so-true.

They're just jealous

i feel like i'm talking to a bunch of sorority girls telling me i'm jealous of their lives. just a random observation...

cammy1313 said:
They're just jealous

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone would say this. Fact is, most people like California, but hate the elitist attitude of many of the people that live there. They hate the attitude of "Well, it's so NOT California so why would I even want to visit there" or the attitude of "They're just jealous." They hate the attitude of "People just don't understand how good we have it here."

I think a lot of people dismiss California for the same reason indepedents dismiss sororities. They think that YOU think that you are envious of them. There are preconceived notions on both sides I guess.

I don't know about the other Cali posters but my comment was meant to be fascitious. I'm thinking the point of this thread was just to talk smack and be silly without the iron fist of judgment slamming down on some Cali humor. Guess it's just inescapable.

ctwickman said:
I knew it was just a matter of time before someone would say this. Fact is, most people like California, but hate the elitist attitude of many of the people that live there. They hate the attitude of "Well, it's so NOT California so why would I even want to visit there" or the attitude of "They're just jealous."

I think a lot of people dismiss California for the same reason indepedents dismiss sororities.

agreed. everyone has their own thing in life that makes them happy, and that is perfectly acceptable. i don't see how any one city is "better" than another. sorority girls, for the most part, think that their lives are better than other people's. if being in a sorority is a good fit for them, that's great, but it does not mean that it is a good fit for everyone.

cammy1313 said:
I don't know about the other Cali posters but my comment was meant to be fascitious. I'm thinking the point of this thread was just to talk smack and be silly without the iron fist of judgment slamming down on some Cali humor. Guess it's just inescapable.

Yeah, we definetly don't get that "Cali humor" out here in podunk Chicago. ;)

j/k. It's totally impossible to detect sarcasm when all you have to deal with is text and no emoticon though.... so you can't be too hard on me. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, it's hard to know whether or not people are joking, esp. when the OP has "Cali haters can all go die" in his signature!

LauraMac said:
sorry, it's hard to know whether or not people are joking, esp. when the OP has "Cali haters can all go die" in his signature!

I woulda thought that the sig woulda made it 50x easier :confused:

Jeffy said:
I woulda thought that the sig woulda made it 50x easier :confused:

it seems as though you are quite serious, but cammy was apparently joking and thought everyone else in the thread was, too. i don't really know, and i suppose it doesn't really matter either way.

norcal sucks too. bunch of pointless protestors, head cases, and religious fanatics surrounded by cow manure and covered in overcast weather.

I :love: Cali!!! I can't wait to go back for my USC interview!!!

CanuckRazorback said:
I :love: Cali!!! I can't wait to go back for my USC interview!!!

That's the spirit! And if you get in, we can do some chest bumps on the first day of orientation! :thumbup:

Jeffy said:
That's the spirit! And if you get in, we can do some chest bumps on the first day of orientation! :thumbup:

Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about!

Everyone bitches about California's attitudes, when in fact, that really reveals their innate attitude probelms. True story:

Dude from I met in Daytona: The problem with Californians is that they're all so stuck up.

Me: Have you been to California?

Dude: No.

Me: Well, what's so great about the South?

Dude: Southern hospitality.

Now, the great irony here is two-fold--first, apparently "hospilaity" means bad-mouthing the home state of visitors when you've never even been to said state, and second, this story occurred in a bar, where my sister invited a dude to join her, and for whom she had just bought a beer. So buying a beer for a stranger is stuck up, and employing stereotypes is hospitality. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm........

Nutmeg said:
Everyone bitches about California's attitudes, when in fact, that really reveals their innate attitude probelms. True story:

Dude from I met in Daytona: The problem with Californians is that they're all so stuck up.

Now, the great irony here is two-fold--first, apparently "hospilaity" means bad-mouthing the home state of visitors when you've never even been to said state, and second, this story occurred in a bar, where my sister invited a dude to join her, and for whom she had just bought a beer. So buying a beer for a stranger is stuck up, and employing stereotypes is hospitality. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm........

and two people represent the entire country quite well...

Nutmeg said:

Typical. Same goes for people who bad mouth other countries when they have never left US soil. People in the south are hospitable, but I find it sort of clickish. If you dont' go to church (not that there's anything wrong with going to church), then you're pretty much an outcast. At least, that's the way it is where I live right now. Bottom line, there's good things and bad things about every single city/town/state/country etc. I lived in Wyoming for 2 years and almost went insane. It wasn't for me, but it doesn't mean that Wyoming is a bad place to live.

LauraMac said:
and two people represent the entire country quite well...
I did not in any way suggest that that was the case, any more than you suggested that your one day in LA was enough to condemn the entire San Andreas fault to deserving a 10.8 that knocks them into the ocean.

My point was that California gets attacked by people who don't understand or appreciate it, and when Californians defend their home state, they get called arrogant. This thread is another example, if my one story doesn't suit you--and I have more.

there's not much to "defend". california is the best and if other people can't see that it's because they're inbred hicks. and that's all there is to it! that's not arrogance that's telling the truth, so help me jeebus.

ctwickman said:
I mean, come on man. California is probably the most isolated, provincial state in the union. You will never meet a higher percentage of people who haven't visited or travelled the country extensively than in SoCal, nor a higher percentage of people who stereotype other regions of the country they haven't been to, and dismiss entire regions like the Great Lakes entirely, even though there are way more people here and the cities are far more developed.

man there are 20 million some people in southern california, i think its fair to say a good percentage of these people have been to the midwest. ive lived all over the country and i have to say southern california is the best combination of culture and weather and quality of life ive yet to encounter. i for one think the great lakes area sucks. ive been there, ive lived there, and i dont want to ever go back. irvine is by far my least favorite place in southern california and i would trade it for the entire state of michigan if forced to. id rather have the 909 than, maybe, 11 wisconsins? if youd prefer detroit to any city in southern california, all i can say is enjoy detroit...

90% of californian medical students going to school in other states become immediately obsessed with going back to california as soon as they step foot off the airplane. it's like a primal need, like salmon going upstream to lay their eggs and die. the universality of this obsession highlights one of two things. either we are so insular and ignorant about the rest of the country that we become so culture shocked and unable to adjust even after four years, or california is that awesome. personally i think it's a lot of both - seeing how much it sucks here in the midwest lets us see how great it was back home. :)

footcramp said:
norcal sucks too. bunch of pointless protestors, head cases, and religious fanatics surrounded by cow manure and covered in overcast weather.

I have to say I disagree with this! Being an Aggie I can say it only smells half the time :rolleyes: and it is only in the Egineering area hehe we all know they are full of cow manure anyways :laugh: Overcast weather is good for you anyways! keeps you inside to study,,,,or snuggle with your hubby :love: As for protesting,,,protesting is never pointless, sooner or later someone will say, man those protestors were so right!

I can agree though that we have a lot of religion up north here...but hey you got a whole lot of diet fanatics,,,man people eating tapeworms to stay thin what the hell is that :)

No hating though I still love ya!

one more thing, I don't want anyone coming here either if they don't want to be here...just as much as I believe people wouldnt want me taking a seat in their med school if I didn't like the place. I mean who wants to listen to someone complain for four years about how horrible the place is when you could have someone who really likes the place?

For example: I will probably only apply to a few midwest schools, I just dont find the need to be in an area full of Bush lovin people, or republican lovin people for that matter. Plus, man its so country..I am from Nor. Cal but still I have to take a trip to the bay sometimes cause all that country air gets to me :)....I plan to apply to some places in Mass. though cause there is city, water (saggi here so I need water :) well at least that makes me feel better hehe), and snow...yeah it is darn cold but like I said I can always snuggle with my hubby.

This isn't at all what I was aiming for with this thread, but whatever. It was supposed to be more of a "Hey people from California, let's enjoy what we have and not spend so much energy arguing with others. If they don't like it here, it's their loss."

But, I guess the exact opposite can be fun and insightful.

ctwickman said:
More California ignorance. Look at any maps lately?

statemapredbluelarge.png

PurpleAmericaPosterAll50_small.gif

Yeah you can't be by major bodies of water in the Midwest, you're right.

unload_ports_map.gif

chi2113

And country? You live in Sacramento! How about the West Coast where if you drive even a few miles outside of the major cities, there is NOTHING, NO ONE, NADA living at all. Or where even in the MAJOR cities there are no lights on the freeways?

The West is far more "country" (sparsely populated) than the Midwest.

popdensity_small.gif

---

Notice I am not hating on California. But if you are going to call the Midwest a bunch of, essentially, backward, Bush loving hicks who all live in the middle of nowhere and are not near any major cities, then allow me to educate you otherwise.

lol, someone must really hate california to go through all this work...

but anyways, yeah, california rules! and even if i end up going out of state for med school, i'll still be practicing in the golden state

I don't hate California. I just hate IGNORANCE of any kind. Period. If you don't know much about something, such as an entire REGION of people, why act like you do? And if you are totally wrong about much of it, doesn't it deserve a correction?

And that was no work my man... all stuff and photos you find on a daily read at another forum I frequent (www.skyscraperpage.com/forum) where we discuss cities and urban issues all the time.

ctwickman said:
I know better than to get involved with you footcramp.... but I can't help myself. You live in the MIDDLE of the cloudiest state in the entire Midwest, in a SMALL town no less. And you've lived there for how long? I would hope you would get somewhat of a culture shock. Heck, Milwaukee --> Ann Arbor is a culture shock. If you don't like Ann Arbor it's your own fault for moving there. Bottom line. I am from the Midwest and I would never move to Ann Arbor either---Michigan's weather is by far the worst in the entire Great Lakes region due to lake effect clouding and snow, and Detroit is the armpit of the entire region. I guess I should judge California now on Bakersfield?

I can tell you with absolute certainty that all my friends from California here in Chicago are having a VERY different experience than you are, just as people that move to San Francisco have it a "little" different than those that move to Fresno. I sense not a single iota of "longing" for California among my friends and with direct flights out of Chicago --> California running out of O'Hare practically every 15 minutes, I haven't seen a single one of them fly back home save for Christmas break. But it is very "typical" Californian IMO to lump the whole Midwest together as "all the same" like you did.

And hence you guys further prove my point.
well bro, every bad thing you say about ann arbor just makes me feel better so thanks for that. on the issue of chicago though, you have to admit that the place is an anomaly in the midwest region. for god sakes you're talking about indiana, ohio, michigan... those places SUCK. it's unfortunate that chicago is located in the midwest because it gets grouped with the losers in this region. let's face it, i'm not proud of fresno either, but bakerfield is ok b/c the dodger minor league team plays there.

anyway, even though chicago is much better than all those places like indianapolis, columbus, detroit, ann arbor, or those horrible rural areas surrounding them, when i went to chicago, it was still not very diverse. i think it was like 70-80% white, which is much better than brighton michigan (99.6%) but worse than LA which has koreatown, chinatown, little tokyo, little ethiopia, little armenia, westwood (persian central), east la (northern mexico), 2nd largest jewish population in the nation, not to mention a large population of pacific islanders, and basically people from all over the world. personally as a minority, the second thing next to weather that sucks about the midwest is the lack of diversity, not the skyscrapers or whatever (which you mention that LA doesn't have much of anyway).

Have you checked out Madison, Milwaukee or Minneapolis? All are awesome cities each with its own culture and vibe. Lots of people from California there too. Cinncinnati is also a very cool city. Cleveland has the most bars and nightlife establishments per capita of any other city in the country. The Midwest is full of awesome cities and different vibes IF YOU COME WITHOUT PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS. I mean you champion your diversity but it sounds more like Asian/Mexican diversity to me. There are far more African Americans, neo-European immigrants, neo-Arab and Indian immigrants in the Midwest than on the West Coast. Detroit has the highest Arab population in the country, and one of the highest African American populations. Chicago has the largest Indian population in the country. None of this count? You must measure diversity by 1) East Asian and 2) Mexican, with the exclusion of many other forms of diversity.

How long have you been here, and where have you gone? Curious.

And Chicago is an anamoly in the Midwest. But LA is an anamoly on the West Coast, and NYC is an anamoly on the East Coast. Not quite sure your point, but LA, Chicago and NYC are all anamolies for their region. They all stand on a tier above everything else and no other cities even come close to their populations and activity.

ctwickman said:
That's the problem most people have with California, is this is all TOO prevalent coming out of there. Maybe it's because it's so far removed from where most people live? Maybe because Californians don't bother with "fly over country" because to them it is, well, "fly over country?"

Or maybe its because nobody else has something to boast about! Look, what the hell does Cincinnati have that Californians (or LA in particular) doesn't? Let's look at Detroit (Cali has better cars), Miami (cali has better beaches), Columbus/Indianapolis/Memphis/Alabama (c'mon, don't embarrass yourself), Chicago (ooo, I'm impressed, a bunch of big buildings!), or Boston (Antarctica?)

The only city that's on the same playing field is probably New York because of the diversity. People probably don't understand that from a minority's perspective, when you're walking about the streets and 95% of the people around you are white, you get gawked on like a rabid beast. You don't feel that in NY or LA.

ctwickman said:
Well then you should move back.
if only it were so easy!!! being a displaced californian is painful. :oops:

wow, how annoying is ctwickman? seriously, you make the dumbest arguments. and congrats on using the internet to find satellite images of the U.S. at night, jackass. very convincing and compelling, esp. when combined with your arguments in favor of places like Cleveland, otherwise universally regarded as a turd the U.S. left next to Lake Erie. seriously, no one likes Cleveland and you're silly for defending it.

footcramp said:
well bro, every bad thing you say about ann arbor just makes me feel better so thanks for that. on the issue of chicago though, you have to admit that the place is an anomaly in the midwest region. for god sakes you're talking about indiana, ohio, michigan... those places SUCK. it's unfortunate that chicago is located in the midwest because it gets grouped with the losers in this region. let's face it, i'm not proud of fresno either, but bakerfield is ok b/c the dodger minor league team plays there.

anyway, even though chicago is much better than all those places like indianapolis, columbus, detroit, ann arbor, or those horrible rural areas surrounding them, when i went to chicago, it was still not very diverse. i think it was like 70-80% white, which is much better than brighton michigan (99.6%) but worse than LA which has koreatown, chinatown, little tokyo, little ethiopia, little armenia, westwood (persian central), east la (northern mexico), 2nd largest jewish population in the nation, not to mention a large population of pacific islanders, and basically people from all over the world. personally as a minority, the second thing next to weather that sucks about the midwest is the lack of diversity, not the skyscrapers or whatever (which you mention that LA doesn't have much of anyway).

I must say, for someone so interested in diversity it's pretty ignorant of you to group all "white" people into one catagory. I'm pretty sure Chicago has the highest population of Russian and Polish immigrants in the US, not to mention a staggering Jewish population. Also, you must have "missed" Chicago's Chinatown and Little Tokyo when you visited. Way to be thorough.

BTW great job forming conclusions based on that "time you visited once."

did i hurt your feelings? los angeles is #1. we're arrogant and uninformed. so what? the rest of the country doesn't matter. what culturally significant thing has the midwest contributed? you people call soda "pop" and put extra sauce on top of a pizza. big deal man.

and ann arbor's great addition to my cultural understanding is "flip cup" and "beer pong". no culture.

footcramp said:
did i hurt your feelings? los angeles is #1. we're arrogant and uninformed. so what? the rest of the country doesn't matter. what culturally significant thing has the midwest contributed? you people call soda "pop" and put extra sauce on top of a pizza. big deal man.

There isn't any "you people" stereotype here in the Midwest and that is exactly the problem with you. We call it "soda" here we're I'm living. But maybe I should be calling it "pop" because I am part of a Californian's "you people" to the entire middle of the country. Must. Conform. To. Ignorance. It's funny because people from the East Coast don't seem to have this problem or be that ignorant of the rest of the country. It must be a West Coast thing.

Culturally significant thing? How about let's just do music, for starters. We'll play a game. You tell me what began in California and I will tell you what began in the Midwest. Just from the top of my head...

Detroit - Techno
Chicago - House
Chicago - Blues

and ann arbor's great addition to my cultural understanding is "flip cup" and "beer pong". no culture.

No one would argue with you that Ann Arbor has "no culture." But again how does Ann Arbor represent the Midwest again? I mean when people go to California looking for culture, they don't head to Bakersfield.

BTW, you have forgot to answer my simple most fundamental inquiry. How long have you lived in Ann Arbor, and what regions in the Midwest have you become familiar with enough via travel and experience to be such an expert on them? Because you certainly are grouping 65+ million people into one backward, monolithic bunch.

ctwickman said:
Well, get a clue. Most people DON'T live in California and MORE of us Americans are moving OUT than moving IN. And most of us are not envying the air you breathe. Any of us could move to California in a second if we wanted to. It's not that difficult. But we're not. And none of us are wishing that we were.
You're wrong. California is still among the fastest growing states and most of the people who are moving out are doing it because they can't afford to live here. There's a reason why California dominates the list of the most expensive and competitive housing markets in the country. Go on google and find out the median prices for homes in NorCal and SoCal. The competition is crazy and it's driving up all the prices. This is a very desirable place to live and more and more people are realizing it and trying to live here. I don't think anyone's saying that it completely sucks living in other places but if you're gonna make an argument at least back it up with some facts.

Ctwickman,

You harbor extreme bitterness toward California. Not sure why, but its best to let it go dude.

The WHOLE world is envious of California.

I can't wait for Cali to fall into the ocean to cash in on my Mojave property.

Wow this thread really took a turn...shoulda expected it.

I love Cali, but I also appreciate other places. And although I would choose to live in Cali, I dont expect everyone else to think that way...to each his/her own. Everyone needs to relax ;)

DeterminedMD said:
I love Cali, but I also appreciate other places. And although I would choose to live in Cali, I dont expect everyone else to think that way...to each his/her own.

:thumbup:

ctwickman said:
No other regions do so much bragging because they are, to put it bluntly, not as much of elitist snobs. You are simply proving my point. You are guilty of "Californiattitude," which is the dismisal of everything "not-California" for simple nose-thumbing, pride swelling sake.

What does Cincinnatti have that LA doesn't? What kind of question is that? I'll answer that if you can tell me what does Fresno have that Chicago doesn't? What does Bakersfield have that Milwaukee doesn't? I mean, every city is DIFFERENT so I can tell you that Cincinnati definetly has no traffic, pollution, rudeness, and cost-of-living problems that LA does, for one thing. How about a better skyline than LA? But if this is about Cincinnati vs. LA then we are just getting ridiculous. LA has 6X as many people metro so obviously there will be all the advantages and disadvantages that come with that.

You will be hard pressed to find people that will agree with your beaches comment. Florida beaches are pristine and WARM. California beaches are COLD. Florida water is so much warmer than California. Period. Fact. There is a reason why Florida is by far the #1 Spring Break destination for Americans and California isn't even close.

Oh and Cali has better cars than Detroit? Are they just giving them away in California? I mean, how does this effect ME or the average person. I can buy any car in Detroit I can buy in California, for LESS and with LESS government surcharges, so I don't see your point other than to say "there are more rich materialistic snobs in California than in Detroit." Am I supposed to think it makes my life better to see Ferraris and Bentleys? I see them all the time in Chicago and it hasn't done a damn thing for me personally.

Columbus/Indianapolis/Memphis/Alabama? Since when is Memphis or Alabama in the Midwest? Are you totally that geographically challenged out there and living in that thick of a bubble?

Chicago? A bunch of big buildings? I guess New York is just that too? A little more than that my man. REAL urbanity with REAL pedestrian activity. People actually WALK to work here, imagine that! Get a clue about Chicago: http://www.philipmalenfant.com/

Boston? That's Midwest now too? Anyways, Boston is an AMAZING, AWESOME, pedestrian and activity filled city with the best universities in the entire country, and 400,000+ college students (more than any other city in the country), and only someone provincial would ever pretend it's "not worthwhile" to live or visit.

No offense man, but most people could care less about California more than you care less about them, and there are far more Americans moving out of your "utopia" than are moving back in so I guess you're just bitter that California is fastly becoming just a part of Mexico.

Hold up here. Geographically challenged? I was randomly naming cities (the only reason I mentioned Alabama is because the population of the whole state is probably smaller than one of LA's suburbs).

Great, so you've mentioned some superb individual qualities about all of the cities I've listed. You got an A+ (I hope I've fed the gunner within you.) But, think of it this way: when I go to the grocery store, I want to get everything in one place, which happens to be exactly the same way I like my cities. If I want coca-cola, I don't want to drive to a factory in Kansas that produces coke, I want it in the soda aisle of my grocery store. If I want mangos, I don't want to have to fly all the way to India to get some, I want it in the fresh produce section...and so on and so forth. Los Angeles has a little bit of everything that you could ever want in a city: it has the beaches, it has the museums (don't chuckle, we have the getty), it has the weather, it has the universities (UCLA and Caltech...well, okay that's in pasadena but who's counting?), it has a beautiful forest, desert, snow peaked mountains within a fifty mile radius, it has the rich snobs (beverly hills), it has the humble people (San Fernando Valley, Torrance, South Central), it has the hispanics, asians, persians, etc.

granted, it may not all be the best of the best, but it still has a little bit of everything. that is something no city can beat.

I appreciate other cities/countries/etc., but I do also recognize what is the best.

and, please, stop talking about LA's skyline. Who the hell cares? The city did not develop like Ny or chicago...we have enough elbow room to build. (i still think the library tower looks awesome)

Damn it, i wrote too much. now i look like i care.

ctwickman said:
That's cool man. Opinions are like dinguses. Everyone has one. Just try not to hate on other areas of the country and act like they are inferior, because that is the attitude that came off in your posts and it's a real turn off to the area you are trying to rep.

As for me, LA doesn't have dense urbanity, loads of walkable pedestrian neighborhoods, extensive mass transit, and changing seasons where I can reinvent myself a few times a year, so for me and many others, you have to understand that LA does not "have it all" for us, otherwise we would move there. I like to live an urban lifestyle and walk to corner grocery stores. I don't own a car and neither do 9 out of 10 of my friends. I like to mingle on the street with people, and run into my friends as they are walking around in the city and not sequestered on the freeway in their cars. I run into people all the time on the street. Living here is like a big, huge ass college town where no one owns a car and you run into friends randomly as you are walking somewhere because the city is so dense. I like to pass street performers on my way to class. People are extraordinarily friendly here and my California friends comment on this all the time on how different people are here. This is something unique to the Midwest--a city this big and this diverse and this dense, but yet that friendly.

I like my winter clothes and I like being able to feel exhilarated as Spring comes around. I like my Summers to be green as a rainforest and my Fall to be as colorful as a canvas my man.... and the feeling of seeing the first snowfall and waking up to see the scenery covered in white just can't be explained. The seasons change and I change with them. It never gets boring. I can always count on the weather being different "a month from now" no matter what month I'm in. I can't get all of this in one package in California. That's why, you have to understand, Chicago "has it all" for me whereas LA doesn't. Maybe you'd be the same way if you grew up around here.

Not looking for your respect or even your understanding, just looking to stop the sneering attitude and open your mind possibly.

Good luck to you.

Now, when the bulls play the lakers, maybe we can have an argument in which one side will definitely win.

11Fingers said:
I can't wait for Cali to fall into the ocean to cash in on my Mojave property.

importD18.gif

Quit stealing my ideas you unoriginal bastard!