Call to ask about app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisy458

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone call some of the schools they didn't get into to ask how to improve your application for this cycle? I'm wondering if schools are receptive to questions while the waitlist movement is still going on. Did you talk to an admissions committee member, and if so was the information helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

daisy458 said:
Did anyone call some of the schools they didn't get into to ask how to improve your application for this cycle? I'm wondering if schools are receptive to questions while the waitlist movement is still going on. Did you talk to an admissions committee member, and if so was the information helpful?

I applied 3 times before getting in to med school (I needed to go to a specific school due to kids... long story). Anyway, I did contact the admissions office to inquire about my application and what I could do to strengthen my app. From my experience schools are usually receptive to such inquiries and can be helpful. As to whether or not you will be able to talk to a committee member I can't say, but the admissions coordinator sits in on all committee meetings and hears everything. Good luck.

I called Columbia to ask about my app and they were very forthcoming and helpful (I didn't have chance to get picked off the waitlist, I was told). I talked to the Admissions Dean. I think giving a call is worth a shot if you have a reason. My reason was that I had a job lined up and so if I didn't have a chance of getting in, I wanted to take the job.

Members don't see this ad :)
daisy458 said:

I've had some luck in this respect with about half of the schools I applied to last year, including Wake Forest, NYU, and Loyola. I think it's worth giving a shot!

I called a few and only one was willing to give me specific feedback. Even the school that interviewed me just gave the standard line, "Talk to your premed advisor." Okay - I'm sure they'll tell me a lot about how my interview went - thanks. :mad:

After trying to call mamy times, I finally I emailed the admissions deans or directors of 4 schools and I got responses from all 4. I made sure to include my cell and work number and I got phone calls from all and made phone appointments to go over my app.
They were all really helpful. Each call too about 15-20 mins.

I, also, emailed and received responses everywhere I emailed and later talked to people in the admissons office who were very helpful. I found their advice very helpful, so I definitely recommend doing this.

I called up some schools I was really interested in going to, and they were all receptive. Some had me schedule phone appointments, but most wanted me to come and speak with them at the school. It is very helpful, although I had an inkling why I didn't get in anywhere, turns out I was right, but it's good to hear it from the guy in charge.

i also decided to e-mail a number of schools i was interested in re-applying to. i think e-mail is probably better because it gives admissions more time to actually look at your app (if they decide to give you the time of day) and, to me, it seems less pushy. i would also agree that, if you e-mail, it should be to an admissions director or dean, not just general admissions. ask what you can do to improve your app, but also try to mention why you're so interested in attending that school. i think that'll help your cause a lot.

so, yeah, i'd advocate making some contacts - in my case, 3 of the 4 schools i was accepted to this year were schools whose deans i contacted last summer. best of luck.