Calling all Applicants Who Applied Late: Why?

Started by NH14
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NH14

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just genuinely curious - not trying to troll. I'm sure you realize how competitive the medical school admissions process is and you may have even been were aware that the earlier you apply, the better your chances.

So why did you apply late?
 
Last edited:
I am just genuinely curious - not trying to troll. I'm sure you realize how competitive the medical school admissions process is and you have even been were aware that the earlier you apply, the better your chances.

So why did you apply late?

Well thanks for making me feel worse about it! 😛

I submitted my primary July 17th, which might be late compared to SDN standards. It was my personal statement holding me back, it took far longer to write and edit than I thought it would.

I'm still sitting on some secondaries though...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well thanks for making me feel worse about it! 😛

I submitted my primary July 17th, which might be late compared to SDN standards. It was my personal statement holding me back, it took far longer to write and edit than I thought it would.

I'm still sitting on some secondaries though...

You were too busy chatting it up with me... to avoid finishing your PS...and your secondaries? Don't even get me started on how long it took you to do those sweetheart! 😉


ps. that was my plan... to delay your application, so mine could get there first... cuz Im the original gunner 😆
 
I submitted my AMCAS in late August of 2010. It was verified a month later in late September, and I completed secondaries from late September to early October.

The reason I applied late was that I was going through the prehealth committee at my undergrad school for my LORs, and it only met in April and September. I missed April.

In the roughly 15 schools I applied to, I was invited to 2 interviews, one in November and one in March.

The November interview was my top choice school, and I was waitlisted in November, very shortly after the interview.

Absolutely nothing at all happened from November to March, I just continued working multiple jobs and doing more research and clinical activities (I graduated in 2010).

When March rolled around, I went to my second interview. Before I found out any result from that, I was accepted off the waitlist from the November interview.

Anyway, it's possible for a later applicant to gain admission to med school, although in my case, it was a difficult and drawn out process. I'm now a first year med student at my top choice school, which is a state school in my hometown.

Stats were 3.66 and 33.
 
Took the MCAT in August. Simple as that 🙂

Honestly though, I was ready for the MCAT in July. If I had some balls I would have taken it in July.
 
Yea, I can see the pre-health committee hold-up (Congrats in getting in your top choice Maxwell7301! That's a long time to wait) and the MCAT dilemma. Although I'm pretty sure you can apply before you take the MCAT, even though, most schools probably won't even look at your app until your scores are in...
 
Yea, I can see the pre-health committee hold-up (Congrats in getting in your top choice Maxwell7301! That's a long time to wait) and the MCAT dilemma. Although I'm pretty sure you can apply before you take the MCAT, even though, most schools probably won't even look at your app until your scores are in...

yea, I submitted my primary in late July but my scores were released until 9/13, so I was sitting with my dick in my hand until then. My full app was complete on 9/19.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my primary on July 29th, mostly due to hangups about my MCAT. I've also had some problems garnering letters of recommendation (still do) and didn't want to send it in until I had everything. Once it became clear that it wasn't going to go that way, I finally submitted. Still sitting on some secondaries now and waiting on 4 more.
 
8 credits of science courses with labs in summer school, working in the ER close to full time, and studying in any small pockets of time for the August MCAT. Submitted right after taking it. Started receiving secondaries 4 days ago! Couldn't have done it much if at all different.
 
I'm a junior and i"m a bit confused about what's the right time to apply. Many of my friends who are seniors took MCAT in August...I'm assuming by you guys talking that it's a vey late date? I was thinking of taking MCAT on July 14th 2012. Is it a bad idea?
 
Take the MCAT in June, apply in July.

You apply early to avoid the long line of verification of your transcript right? So, can't you just apply in June (Primary App) without MCAT score and as soon as you get hold of MCAT score on Aug 14th you add that to your application which will hopefully get verified by then ?
 
You apply early to avoid the long line of verification of your transcript right? So, can't you just apply in June (Primary App) without MCAT score and as soon as you get hold of MCAT score on Aug 14th you add that to your application which will hopefully get verified by then ?

Yes, you can submit your AMCAS with one school, then add more schools when you're satisfied with your MCAT score.
 
Took September MCAT. Submitted as soon as scores came out first week of October. I wasn't going to apply unless I scored over 31. I was expecting 28-37. Not verified. Hope I'm lucky this cycle :luck:
 
AMCAS verified 9/29. YES I KNOW.

Wanted to wait for my MCAT score and see whether I should take a chance this cycle. I did finish some secondaries mid September. Call it luck, but I already have one interview (Cincinnati next month). Stats are decent. 3.97, 32Q (7VR!), and very mediocre ECs. If it makes you feel any better, I called 5 schools up this week, and all said I was in the middle of application pack.

I seriously hate SDN sometimes! People here tend to paint a very Black and White picture about everything.
 
Last edited:
Took September MCAT. Submitted as soon as scores came out first week of October. I wasn't going to apply unless I scored over 31. I was expecting 28-37. Not verified. Hope I'm lucky this cycle :luck:

HONESTLY, I would not worry. There's about 6 months left to this cycle...
 
cause i had to wait for my next pay check to be able to afford the application fees
 
AMCAS verified 9/29. YES I KNOW.

Wanted to wait for my MCAT score and see whether I should take a chance this cycle. I did finish some secondaries mid September. Call it luck, but I already have one interview (Cincinnati next month). Stats are decent. 3.97, 32Q (7VR!), and very mediocre ECs. If it makes you feel any better, I called 5 schools up this week, and all said I was in the middle of application pack.

I seriously hate SDN sometimes! People here tend to paint a very Black and White picture about everything.

considering SDN probably has a majority of ppl who are NOT in "the middle of the application pack"..it makes sense that majority tells it's a bit late to get verified now..but again, what do I know except reading threads on this topic on SDN? lol.
 
I applied late because I had no idea when the admissions process started or how it worked.

This was also true for me last year when I applied (basically on the eve of almost every deadline). Part of it was also a mental block when writing my personal statement and secondaries.

As could be expected, it was a sad, quiet application year.

I still probably applied quite a bit later than the average SDN'er this year too, but it was still several months earlier than last year for me so I'm satisfied.
 
I took an August MCAT so I had to apply late. Finished secondaries in October.

7 apps, 3 interviews. Interview invites came in September, December and January.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you guys ready to get a whooping on Saturday at Anfield? Man Utd die hard here!!!:laugh:

AMCAS verified 9/29. YES I KNOW.

Wanted to wait for my MCAT score and see whether I should take a chance this cycle. I did finish some secondaries mid September. Call it luck, but I already have one interview (Cincinnati next month). Stats are decent. 3.97, 32Q (7VR!), and very mediocre ECs. If it makes you feel any better, I called 5 schools up this week, and all said I was in the middle of application pack.

I seriously hate SDN sometimes! People here tend to paint a very Black and White picture about everything.
 
I am just genuinely curious - not trying to troll. I'm sure you realize how competitive the medical school admissions process is and you may have even been were aware that the earlier you apply, the better your chances.

So why did you apply late?

I knew jack **** about the medical school application process.
 
I took an August MCAT so I had to apply late. Finished secondaries in October.

7 apps, 3 interviews. Interview invites came in September, December and January.

I'm curious as to how you had interview invites before MCATs were in.
 
I'm curious as to how you had interview invites before MCATs were in.
Sorry, re-checked my dates, MCAT was on 7/31, last day of July not first day of August. I submitted my AMCAS about a week after I took my MCAT. Scores came out the same day my application was verified first/second week of September, got in all my letters while waiting for my MCAT, secondaries came in as soon as I was verified, first interview invite came 1 day after I submitted my first secondary.
 
Overloaded coarse load till may, didnt feel confident taking MCAT before mid July, didnt know you could submit AMCAS before MCAT scores were in (mid august, verified mid september).
 
Hope that went smoothly for you. 😉

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I lol'd. I was watching Brain Games while typing, a show about how successful multitasking is impossible because the brain is essentially a serial processor which has to take focus off of one activity to work on the second.
 
You were too busy chatting it up with me... to avoid finishing your PS...and your secondaries? Don't even get me started on how long it took you to do those sweetheart! 😉


ps. that was my plan... to delay your application, so mine could get there first... cuz Im the original gunner 😆

Some of my secondaries are/were definitely bordering on late.
 
I am just genuinely curious - not trying to troll. I'm sure you realize how competitive the medical school admissions process is and you may have even been were aware that the earlier you apply, the better your chances.

So why did you apply late?

I took the MCAT in Aug 2008 and read multiple places that the MCAT was good for 3 years at most schools. I assumed this meant my mcat was good until Aug 2011 (aka this cycle). I was wrong. -_-
 
I applied late because I didn't realize how well my career and research interests align with M.D./Ph.D. until August, and I wanted to give myself a chance to study for the MCAT so I waited until September to take it. Then I didn't want to make my rec letter writers waste their time writing letters if I got a bad MCAT score so I didn't as them until I got my score back last week. That's also when I started filling out the primary application. Should have that sent in tomorrow or Wednesday.

Should be an interesting application cycle. I'm fortunate that all of those high school/middle school personality tests gave me the "phlegmatic peaceful" result. Otherwise I might be freaking out about my chances 😛
 
I applied late because I didn't realize how well my career and research interests align with M.D./Ph.D. until August, and I wanted to give myself a chance to study for the MCAT so I waited until September to take it. Then I didn't want to make my rec letter writers waste their time writing letters if I got a bad MCAT score so I didn't as them until I got my score back last week. That's also when I started filling out the primary application. Should have that sent in tomorrow or Wednesday.

Should be an interesting application cycle. I'm fortunate that all of those high school/middle school personality tests gave me the "phlegmatic peaceful" result. Otherwise I might be freaking out about my chances 😛
If you didn't decide to apply until Aug, why aren't you waiting until next cycle??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea, but applying next year with 95% chance seems like a better deal than a mere 5% chance 😎

Pretty much this. I have to wonder though, on the AMCAS web site it says to allow 6 weeks for application processing. For schools with a 10/15 deadline, is that the processing deadline or submission deadline? If the former, then I do have a 0% chance for this cycle.