Calling all Canadians....

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrissy7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting optometry school in 2009 and was hoping that my significant other would be able to move to the US and work while I am in school. We are both Canadians are we are currently looking into US Visas and feel that trying to get an H1-B visa is our best bet. Has anyone had their spouse move from Canada to the US while you attended school? How hard was it to secure a visa? Any info on your experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting optometry school in 2009 and was hoping that my significant other would be able to move to the US and work while I am in school. We are both Canadians are we are currently looking into US Visas and feel that trying to get an H1-B visa is our best bet. Has anyone had their spouse move from Canada to the US while you attended school? How hard was it to secure a visa? Any info on your experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

You will likely come on an F1 VISA. Your husband can come with you but neither of you would be eligible to work.

If your husband wants a job, his best bet is either through H1-B or a TN visa. What does he do for work?

He is an optometrist which doesn't look like its on the NAFTA agreement. Do you know if it is? Have you heard of other Canadian optometrists getting H1-B Visas?

Members don't see this ad :)
He is an optometrist which doesn't look like its on the NAFTA agreement. Do you know if it is? Have you heard of other Canadian optometrists getting H1-B Visas?

H1-B as an optometrist is almost going to be a non starter. His best bet is likely going to be to try to get on board with one of the colleges of optometry, particularly the new ones. A private employer is almost certainly not going to be interested in bearing the cost, and time of trying to any sort of employment sponsorship.

You will likely come on an F1 VISA. Your husband can come with you but neither of you would be eligible to work.

If your husband wants a job, his best bet is either through H1-B or a TN visa. What does he do for work?

If your husband comes with your on your F1 student visa, after some time he may be able to apply for a hardship permission, allowing him to work in the USA.

However, depending on the state and area, commercial places such as luxottica are often willing to sponsor an H1-B.

Thanks for your responses! Does he come down as an F2 and then apply for hardship permission? Have you heard of anyone who has been successful at getting this?

Well, here's another option that might work.

The T-N visa Research Assistant classsification requires a BSc/BA and a job assisting research in a post-baccalaureate institution. If he could get a job working with a professor @ your school, you could be set. Of course this is:
i) pretty specific,
ii) research assistant pay may not be what you want, since the OD degree is a modifier, and
iii) there are details that would have to be worked out with the lead prof.

However, once he's got a TN its so much easier to renew :cool:.The H1-B requires more work by the visa holder and employer :lame:.This site explains the TN.
http://www.grasmick.com/nafta.htm

Just an option.

Good luck and congrats on OD schoool.