calling all female docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoopDaLoop

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
As a female psychologist serving predominately male clientele, I have found myself with many roadblocks/ boundaries/ thoughts/ experiences..whatever you'd like to call it, that have caused me to acknowledge certain dynamics and in some cases, limitations, to being a female in this field. If the population you serve is predominately female, perhaps you have had a different experience. All of this to say... i find it odd that more online forms/ blogs do not speak to such experiences. thoughts? I know i would at times find it useful and validating. anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You're being awfully cryptic here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
As a female psychologist serving predominately male clientele, I have found myself with many roadblocks/ boundaries/ thoughts/ experiences..whatever you'd like to call it, that have caused me to acknowledge certain dynamics and in some cases, limitations, to being a female in this field. If the population you serve is predominately female, perhaps you have had a different experience. All of this to say... i find it odd that more online forms/ blogs do not speak to such experiences. thoughts? I know i would at times find it useful and validating. anyone else?
I think I know what you mean but more specifics would be helpful

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious what you have in mind, Loop. I've heard some pretty horrific stuff related to interactions between male supervisors/peers and female clinicians, e.g., comments on appearance, personal relationships, etc.
Yes, this is why it is unhelpful for her to be so cryptic. It could be something quite awful, similar to what you are alluding to (e.g., her "boundaries" and "experiences"), or it could be more about difficulties with rapport, resistance, etc. (e.g., the "roadblocks" she mentions).

As a female student at the VA I have had male clients make inappropriate comments about my appearance. I was lucky to have an excellent male supervisor who was present for one of the instances and he nipped it in the bud. I can’t recall exactly what he said but he made it clear that the comment was inappropriate and re-directed the conversation. He also talked to me one on one afterwards and was supportive and let me know that it may happen again the future and encouraged me to speak up that it’s inappropriate and then re-direct as he did, while also acknowledging how it may make me feel. Luckily I wasn’t feeling personally insulted or violated or anything, the thing that I was concerned about is not wanted to feel undermined because of my gender. So in response I learned to dress more masculine I suppose, in that setting. I was dressed entirely professionally before and nothing form fitting, but I opted for more muted colors and things like standard button down dress shirts that kind of hid my figure if that makes sense. I also tried to be more aware of the tone of my voice and tried to deepen or flatten my voice a bit, not extremely, but just a little different than I would usually sound. It’s an unfortunate thing to face as a woman, but I’m sure it’s pretty common.

So in response I learned to dress more masculine I suppose, in that setting. I was dressed entirely professionally before and nothing form fitting, but I opted for more muted colors and things like standard button down dress shirts that kind of hid my figure if that makes sense. I also tried to be more aware of the tone of my voice and tried to deepen or flatten my voice a bit, not extremely, but just a little different than I would usually sound. It’s an unfortunate thing to face as a woman, but I’m sure it’s pretty common.

It makes me really sad that you had to do that.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with what others have said. I think most people probably experience what you are referring to, but the experiences can be ameliorated if you have an effective supervisor or you are in a healthy workplace environment.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked in a prison one year and basically dressed like a potato sack.. It still didn't stop the unwanted attention. I found that setting immediate and consistent boundaries is essential. I also feel very conflicted about clothing. On one hand I would never want to detract from therapy with what I am wearing, on the other hand I have always dressed appropriately and part of me feels the issue should be addressed in therapy because it pertains to their ideas regarding gender roles and ultimately their pathology

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile