Calling all practicing optometrists...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeod2583

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do you recommend starting your licensure application as a student (i.e what month or during what time frame in relation to part 3), I know in states like Illinois it can be quite a lengthy process.
Are you allowed to have licenses in multiple states simultaneously (because you are not sure which state to practice in and will apply for positions in multiple states?)
Thanks for the help..

Members don't see this ad.

You can have multiple state licenses & I'd rec. applying for an state you might be working in since most employment agreements depend on already having a license to practice.

You don't have to start way in advance since you have to have graduated and passed all parts of NBEO first. I'd suggest contact each state board in the spring before grad, find out what's required, & have it ready to send ASAP.

Well, now you can take part 3 at any time during your fourth year, so if you take it before part 2 then you'll be done with boards fall of your 4th year.

Contacting the state board is a good idea.

Be wary of some states' requirements. Every state has their separate requirements, which can change at any time.

I hold a Tennessee license and they recently enated a Drug Diversion Course, which is only offered in TN. Now, every cycle, I have to make a cross-country trip for this course.

I am debating my next renewal due to added time/cost to keep this license active.:thumbdown: