calling in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PharmDapplicant

Hi,

I have several questions:

1. How often should I call the pharmacy school that I applied to? The main reason I ask is because for medical schools it helps to "get your name known" (hopefully, not in a negative way)

2. Do I send in thank you letters to the school?

Both these questions might sound incredibly dumb, but please show mercy to me when answering them :oops: .

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PharmDapplicant said:
Hi,

I have several questions:

1. How often should I call the pharmacy school that I applied to? The main reason I ask is because for medical schools it helps to "get your name known" (hopefully, not in a negative way)

2. Do I send in thank you letters to the school?

Both these questions might sound incredibly dumb, but please show mercy to me when answering them :oops: .

Thanks!

It's my understanding that calling is generally a good way to get your name known -- in a negative way. Why would you need to call so frequently?

UNC explicitly told us not to call unless absolutely necessary.

I've never heard of anyone sending a thank you letter to a school...I suppose the thank you would be the deposit reserving a space in the class! You could try doing a search and seeing if anyone on here actually has done it. If it were me, I'd reserve the thank you notes for the people who wrote my LORs.

b*rizzle said:
UNC explicitly told us not to call unless absolutely necessary.

Did you send your supplemental app to UNC through certified mail? I sent mine the normal way a while back but have no idea if they got it or not. I was just gonna call them but later I found out that they don't want people to call.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes there are threads on here about thank you notes

good idea and professional unless explicitly told not to

oh but the note goes to who you interviewed with, personal interaction etc.

thanks for all your helps :). The main reason why I wanted to call in was primarily because I'm not sure if they decided to interview me yet.

starsweet said:
Did you send your supplemental app to UNC through certified mail? I sent mine the normal way a while back but have no idea if they got it or not. I was just gonna call them but later I found out that they don't want people to call.

I sent it certified mail, and after 2 weeks the status had not changed, so I called them because the check hadn't cleared either. I told her that I had done what they had asked us to do (sending certified mail) but hadn't seen any changes yet, and I was worried about the 70 dollar check floating around. The lady (Ms Pike) was really nice about it.

The checks won't get cashed until late October or November, by the way.

It couldn't hurt to call...they just don't want peeps calling them every day to find out about when they get interviews/etc.

Keep me posted on how your app/interview process goes -- it would be great to know a future classmate!!

PharmDapplicant said:
thanks for all your helps :). The main reason why I wanted to call in was primarily because I'm not sure if they decided to interview me yet.

I wouldn't do that. You should probably just play the waiting game. If your stats are where they should be for the school (which you should know by now) then you're probably just waiting for them to get thru the paperwork.

b*rizzle said:
I sent it certified mail, and after 2 weeks the status had not changed, so I called them because the check hadn't cleared either. I told her that I had done what they had asked us to do (sending certified mail) but hadn't seen any changes yet, and I was worried about the 70 dollar check floating around. The lady (Ms Pike) was really nice about it.

The checks won't get cashed until late October or November, by the way.

It couldn't hurt to call...they just don't want peeps calling them every day to find out about when they get interviews/etc.

Keep me posted on how your app/interview process goes -- it would be great to know a future classmate!!

You mean the status hadn't changed on PharmCAS under "Supplemental"? Because mine says no items are required from UNC, which doesn't make sense. I keep trying to call but no one is picking up. It's kinda weird.

Keep in touch... :)

Ok, so Ms. Pike isn't answering the phone, I wonder if she's on vacation or something and the other person I got on the phone wouldn't tell me if my app was in or not :(

b*rizzle said:
I wouldn't do that. You should probably just play the waiting game. If your stats are where they should be for the school (which you should know by now) then you're probably just waiting for them to get thru the paperwork.
I agree. I emailed the rep for NSU (notice i said email not 'called') about the status of my application. she said that she received it and itll take some time to verify the info. from what i understand this is the usual m.o. I wouldnt start having fits for not contacting me until February or so. Also keep checking the Pharmcas suplimental page. and you could always do like I did and just shoot a brief email...you definitely dont want to get a rep. for being the a$$hole kid calling the office every minute about their app. :laugh:

I dislike how certain schools sit on supplemental checks...

My bank account's always low so I've got to constantly check that nothing bounces... :p

None of my checks for supplemental apps have been cashed except for one (South)... I guess only the rolling admissions schools cash them immediately?

starsweet said:
You mean the status hadn't changed on PharmCAS under "Supplemental"? Because mine says no items are required from UNC, which doesn't make sense. I keep trying to call but no one is picking up. It's kinda weird.

Keep in touch... :)

Ok, so Ms. Pike isn't answering the phone, I wonder if she's on vacation or something and the other person I got on the phone wouldn't tell me if my app was in or not :(

Nope, I mean when I checked usps.com there was no change in the status of my application. There's nothing on PharmCAS about it.

I would try a few times. The first few times I called, no one answered. I managed to get her earlier in the day.

Gotcha, thanks for the update. I really thought she was no longer there or something cuz I've been calling 10 times a day and no one picks up! :)