calling schools about admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synergee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to call schools to find out where they are in terms of processing your application? (especially if you haven't heard from them for a while and are getting worried??!!) If you do call the schools, what are questions you should ask?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I did this, mainly to make sure that they did get it the stuff, but it also gave me someone to contact later who was able to let me know about acceptance.

I have a question about this too. It is now the end of april and I still have yet to hear back from one school. (i didn't get into the rest despite good GPA and excellent PCAT) Is it OK to call and see what the status of my application is? I meen.. I have to find a job, and apartment if I dont' get in... they kick me out of my dorm 9AM the day after I graduate, but then again I don't want to be annoying and jepordize my chances of getting in! What should I do? any input would be great.. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
E-mailing is a good way to do this. Be polite and nice. If you do not hear an answer after 3 days, then call. Again, be polite and nice. If you are told non-specific information, call or e-mail after 1-2 weeks. If you call, never be rude! Just give your name and ask about your status. Thank them for being helpful...remember, they have to field calls of this nature all the time and get sick of it after a while.

Good luck, Leah! I'm rooting for you! :luck:

I'm sure most schools don't mind if you call to check up on your status. I called one school today and they were really nice about answering my questions. Some questions I asked were:

-- Is there any way you can check up on my status?
-- When will the letters be sent out?
-- When should I expect to hear back?
-- Is my application missing anything (eg Winter quarter transcript, etc etc)?

Thanks guys! I just emailed, and will call if I dont' hear in a week! Thanks a million!

sunkiki486 said:
Some questions I asked were:

-- Is there any way you can check up on my status?
-- When will the letters be sent out?
-- When should I expect to hear back?
-- Is my application missing anything (eg Winter quarter transcript, etc etc)?

Excellent advice! Yeah, what sunkiki486 said :laugh:

Hi!
Synergee,

I think it's OK to call schools that you have applied in and find out what is going on with your application. Because if you do so then you can know what to do next.

Hi!
Synergee,

Calling a school to ask a status of your application is the same thing as to ask a status of your job application. So, I wouldn't think that this is a problem.

It's absolutely ok to call about admissions. Why do you think they're there? I called to find out if they had everything in (about a week and half after I submitted my application) and she told me over the phone that I had been accepted. I wasn't even expecting that and it was a great surprise! I know the people at UF are really cool about calling and checking up on things, not sure about other schools though.

~Pam

Incidentally, Midwestern in DG will not release info over the phone. They prefer email, and will respond very quickly (<24 hrs).