calling schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altoid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok probably a stupid question but when you call the schools that you are waitlisted at what do you usually say to them?

i called a while ago and the woman just sounded more annoyed than anything else. which i totally understand because they have to deal with all of us calling and writing incesantly.

Members don't see this ad.

just ask if you can find out your position on the waitlist and if there's been any movement lately. I just called for the first time and thats what I did. it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Depends on if you are calling to express your interest or just to check your status. If you want to express your interest, it probably won't make any difference if you just speak to the sectretary.....you should try and speak to the dean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Birdie is absolutely right, which is why I don't recommend calling the office. A letter expressing your interest is usually forwarded around to all the committee members -- this helps increase your name recognition, which is what you want when the wait-list files are reviewed again. Your call is taken by an office assistant who is overworked at this time of year, has little input into the selection process, and can't give you any useful information. In fact, our office assistants were under strict instructions NOT to forward calls to the admissions director or give much information over the phone other than the standard, "You'll be notified as soon as there is a change..." With that in mind, it's very likely that your call will only come to the admissions committee's attention if you are rude or otherwise difficult with the person who answers the phone. That's the last thing you want!

When I called a couple days ago I just asked if the waitlist had started moving, and then was told that it had and that my acceptance had been mailed the day before. I think that as long as you're not calling all the time they shouldn't be annoyed. You also have to factor in that a million other things could be affecting a person's attitude desides your phone call. They understand this is an anxious time for everyone.