calling Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rewJW

surviving
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody who didn't get the call from Stony Brook tried to call them to see what's up with their application? I've tried calling at various hours and haven't been able to get through. I have not tried leaving a message. Just curious if anybody has had success.

Members don't see this ad.

You should leave a message, just so they know that you've called at least 2 times. Patricia Berry or one of the staff will check it and hopefully call you back. Try e-mailing Dr. Cinotti herself, as she is the person you want to speak to anyway. Make sure you express your interest in the school, etc... you never know what will help get your name in her head.

I got through at around 7 or 8 pm a few days ago; I hadn't interviewed there yet, so I wasn't asking about that, but they're still reviewing as far as I know. They don't respond to messages. Give them a call later rather than earlier, I think that that poor woman might have actually been on the phone every time I tried to call her.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Wiggly and zorie ... I'm going to try to call again tomorrow on my lunch break, and if I don't get through I'll leave a message. If I haven't heard anything back I'll email Dr. Cinotti. I need to find an eloquent way to stress that if they accept me, I'm definitely going there. I'll fork over the cash pronto, I promise. :D

rewJW- Just curious why you for sure want Stony Brook over UMDNJ? They are both great schools and NJ is your state school and although its a little more expensive its not as big a difference as other private schools.
Good luck calling

Thanks Wiggly and zorie ... I'm going to try to call again tomorrow on my lunch break, and if I don't get through I'll leave a message. If I haven't heard anything back I'll email Dr. Cinotti. I need to find an eloquent way to stress that if they accept me, I'm definitely going there. I'll fork over the cash pronto, I promise. :D

Dont call too many times without leaving a message, all schools keep call logs of who calls and how many times and they put it in your file. If you call once twice fine, but dont call 20 times lol. After 2 calls leave a message. Also if you are communicating by phone then dont send an email, choose one method of communication and stick to it. They get really frustrated when the get 15 phone calls and 5 emails from the same person.

Orgodox- After getting in-state residency for the 2nd-4th years, either of the SUNYs would actually be cheaper than NJDS for me. At least that's with current tuition - they did say tuition is going to be increasing, so after the increase I'm not sure which would be cheaper. Additionally, I liked the location of Stony (and Buffalo) better than Newark. I know I could survive in Newark but if I have the option I'd rather spend the next four years in a more suburban area. Also, I like that at Stony you have x credit hours of open options your 4th year, and that you have your own chair. I think the clinical requirements might be a bit higher at NJDS as a tradeoff. I went to a small undergrad and want to go to a d-school with a smaller class. Plus -- I've lived in New Jersey my whole life, in the same freaking house (commuted to undergrad to save on living expenses), so I want to get far far away for a few years.

Klutzy - Yeah I called 3 times yesterday and once today, finally got through. Wasn't planning on calling a bajillion times without leaving a message. I don't think calling many times can show anything other than interest in the school, though. I didn't want to leave a message if I didn't have to, because even if they called me back, I'd probably be working and couldn't pick up. I only get a short lunch break (which I'm currently on :D ). Looks like nobody is going to hear anything who hasn't heard anything so far until at least after January 15th.

Regardless, I'm not complaining about getting into NJDS. I know if I do end up going there I'll still be able to be a competent dentist. I'll survive Newark and enjoy the school.

Orgodox- After getting in-state residency for the 2nd-4th years, either of the SUNYs would actually be cheaper than NJDS for me. At least that's with current tuition - they did say tuition is going to be increasing, so after the increase I'm not sure which would be cheaper. Additionally, I liked the location of Stony (and Buffalo) better than Newark. I know I could survive in Newark but if I have the option I'd rather spend the next four years in a more suburban area. Also, I like that at Stony you have x credit hours of open options your 4th year, and that you have your own chair. I think the clinical requirements might be a bit higher at NJDS as a tradeoff. I went to a small undergrad and want to go to a d-school with a smaller class. Plus -- I've lived in New Jersey my whole life, in the same freaking house (commuted to undergrad to save on living expenses), so I want to get far far away for a few years.

Klutzy - Yeah I called 3 times yesterday and once today, finally got through. Wasn't planning on calling a bajillion times without leaving a message. I don't think calling many times can show anything other than interest in the school, though. I didn't want to leave a message if I didn't have to, because even if they called me back, I'd probably be working and couldn't pick up. I only get a short lunch break (which I'm currently on :D ). Looks like nobody is going to hear anything who hasn't heard anything so far until at least after January 15th.

Regardless, I'm not complaining about getting into NJDS. I know if I do end up going there I'll still be able to be a competent dentist. I'll survive Newark and enjoy the school.
yes i called a few days ago, and they haven't even put together a waitlist yet, at least that's what i was told

they're waiting to see how many people accept their offers from dec 1st

hey plopper, remember me? i interviewed with u at stony. I hope u get in buddy.

hey plopper, remember me? i interviewed with u at stony. I hope u get in buddy.
heyy, you're the guy with 2 months of research right?? haha, i hope you get in!
good luck, tell me how it goes?

u remember yvette or something like that, that girl was slammin' hott!