Calling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermography

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what are your thoughts and experience in having your school's PD calling schools that you have a particular interest in the following scenarios?

1) That particular school hasn't send you an invite nor a rejection letter yet
2) That particular school has already sent you a rejection letter saying oh how great an applicant you are but we have 10000+ applications this year and the decision was really difficult
3) You have already interviewed at that particular school and know that that particular school is definitely one of your top choices if not the number 1 choice

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine in all 3 scenarios, calling wouldn't be viewed favorably because of how competitive the field is.

I think calls are made a lot. I know on at least 2 occasions programs called my letter writers to confirm things or get more feedback. And my mentor told me he would call my top choice

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I apologize. I thought you said personal calls. I'm also certain PD calls are made quite frequently.

For me, it's a bit of an awkward situation as I'm leaning towards not ranking my own program #1.

I think in scenario 1+2 a call would help your chances. It would help the most if your PD knew the other PD well, and if you are a competitive applicant for the program. Your application will probably be pulled and given a closer look. Scenario 3, personally I would only have a call made to my #1 choice.

I don't see why a call would ever hurt.

Last edited: