Caluculus during postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NPSperl0863

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im in the process of registering for a few classes over the summer, and am having a tough time deciding whether or not to take calculus.

The science classes that im taking only require up to pre-calc, but I find myself having doubts on whether it would put me at a disadvantage not having this class completed with an A.

I know that there are some schools that require calculus, so an A in that class would look good. However, not being the strongest math student, im worried about risking a lower grade on a class that I don’t necessarily need.

I guess what I'm wondering, is other than limiting the number of schools I can apply to, would it put me at a large disadvantage to not have Calculus under my belt?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not take calculus. I guess there may be some schools that require it, but it's got to be just a handful. If you're not a strong math person, you're risking lowering your GPA which is a no-no.

Finally, I don't think there's going to be almost any Adcom who says, "Ah, good, (s)he took calculus. Glad to see it!" It's just a non-issue for them.

Finally, calculus won't help on the MCAT or with anything you'll ever do. Too many disadvantages, almost no positives I can see.

I took it, but ended up never needing it. Only one of the schools I applied to required it, so check the schools to which you will apply.

I would check the physics classes you will take for your pre-reqs. Some physics classes are calc based, although mine, for non-physics majors was not. You should double check. If you don't need it for either of those two scenarios, I wouldn't take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! I suck at Calc and was dreading taking it again. So happy to have gotten on this thread. Anybody else chime on this? Any additional perspectives would be appreciated?

Ok, so an additional question regarding Physics w/ Calc and Physics w/o Calc, does it matter which one you take for Pre-reqs? I want to make sure that I don't take the wrong one and then have it not count. Any ideas on how to verify or find out which Physics they will allow?

You only have to take physics. Doesn't matter calc-based vs. algebra based.

That being said, as a math person I find the calc based SO much easier!!! Less memorize and regurgitate, more figure it out (which is much easier for me). I find algebra-based physics horribly annoying.

Just a question. . .what's Caluculus? Is that astrophysiologiculus?

JK. I am the major queen of TYPOS! ;)