ddasung

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2002
Status (Visible)
Can anyone explain to me why it takes 6 calvin cycles to produce 1 molecule of glucose?

Don't you feed in 3 molecules of CO2 into 1st cycle to produce 1 molecule of G3P and 2 cycles will produce 2 moleclues of G3P which will make up 1 molecule of glucose?

I can't quite understand how you feed each molecule of CO2 and at the end of 3rd cycle you get 1 molecule of G3P.

Thanks guys,

Ki-Yoon

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status (Visible)
I hate the way some texts describe the Calvin cycle. They tend to lead one to believe that somehow 3 carbon dioxides enter 1 cycle, which is absolutely phooey.

The best way to look at it is stoichiometrically:

One CO2 at a time enters a cycle. After 3 Calvin cycles during which 3 CO2s are consumed, one *net* G3P is generated. This makes sense, since you put in 3 carbons (3 CO2s) and get one net 3-carbon molecule (1 G3P).

After 6 Calvin cycles during which 6 CO2s are consumed, two *net* G3Ps are generated and can be used to make one 6-carbon Glucose.

HTH!

savvysearch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Hmm. I understand it differtly from both of you.
here's how I made sense of it.

1 CO2 combine with 1 (5 carbon) RBP to produce 1 (6 carbon) 3PG. 3PG is very unstable so it splits into 2 (3carbon molecule) of G3P.

To sum it up, 1 cycle uses 1 CO2 to produce 2 G3P.

So, in 6 cycles, 12 G3P are formed.

Now the cycle can do either of two things.

The 12 G3P can combine to reform 6 RBP and in doing so, form 1 glucose molecule as a byproduct. Remember that glucose is a 6 carbon molecule.

G3P is a 3 carbon molecule.
3 x 12 = 36 total carbons
RBP is a 5 carbon molecule
6 x 5 = 30 total carbons
36 - 30 = 6 carbons which is your 6 carbon glucose molecule.
(this explains your 6 cycles for 1 glucose)

OR

if the plant is in immediate need of glucose, every two G3P can combine and rearrange itself to form glucose.
(notice this is a faster way of obtaining glucose, but no RBP is made and RBP is needed to continue the Calvin cycle)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads