Camera system for clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

We are in the process of remodeling our clinic and part of the remodel includes putting in a camera system so faculty can watch or record student sessions (believe it or not, previously we had been using a couple handheld camcorders). We are open to any solution, but would especially like one that is wireless if possible (though obviously security on that is paramount) and can be broadcast to a couple TVs or recorded digitally. Our clinic is in a different location on-campus than our psychology department, so several faculty members have expressed an interest in a solution where we have a secured server that we can login to through VPN to watch the videos.

Now that our dream wish list is out of the way, do any of you have any experience selecting this video equipment, or do you know of anything that may fit our needs? Again, it doesn't have to be wireless, but this is our preference as we are always afraid the university will move our clinic and we don't want to be out the investment in the video equipment.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If your university provides a HIPPA safe shared drive than it would be pretty simple if you have computers in your rooms.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been at one clinic that simply used nice webcams on in-room computers, which saved to a HIPAA-protected, encrypted hard drive. Another clinic had a system that allowed supervisors to watch from on-location and record to DVD, but that would be more difficult if supervisors are off-site. I personally really liked the webcam solution.

Thanks PsychPhDStudent. That is kind of what I am thinking as well. There are pretty nice wireless webcams out there so I am considering setting up a private encrypted wireless network to connect these webcams to a recording PC. I still have to look into the HIPAA ramifications of the encrypted wireless, though. If I can't figure that out, the solution you mention would work. Thanks again.

Yeah, one of my prac sites had web cams in each room and you would store the video on the shared drive. Our dept clinic has a DVD recorder in each room. I definitely preferred the web cam option since it doesn't take up physical space like DVDs do.