Campaign: Let's make all STEPS pass or fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1041327

My STEP3 exam was recently postponed by Prometric due to the CoVID pandemic.
I was literally two weeks away from taking STEP and now my test prep schedule has been disrupted not only because my exam will be rescheduled to a later date, but because now I have to devote more time to help out and staff around the hospital during this crisis. My gripe isn't with dedicating more time or rearranging my rotations to help out everyone. My concern is that the letters cartel/mafia i.e the USMLE/NBME/FSMB should take note of the extraordinary situation. They should understand the disruption this has caused everyone, including test-takers who are actively working in the healthcare field. They should agree to make STEP 3 (and STEP 2 CK) pass/fail. They have already done this with STEP 1. Universities across the country have done this for all their Spring semester classes.

We need to start some kind of e-mail letter writing campaign and put pressure of the letters mafia (this includes AAMC/NRMP). Lets get this started. Maybe someone who is more eloquent and persuasive can write out a paragraph and we can all forward it to the entities below and flood their mailbox so that they can take action.

Thanks for your support.

View attachment 300219

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was literally two weeks away from taking STEP and now my test prep schedule has been disrupted not only because my exam will be rescheduled to a later date, but because now I have to devote more time to help out and staff around the hospital during this crisis. My gripe isn't with dedicating more time or rearranging my rotations to help out everyone. My concern is that the letters cartel/mafia i.e the USMLE/NBME/FSMB should take note of the extraordinary situation. They should understand the disruption this has caused everyone, including test-takers who are actively working in the healthcare field. They should agree to make STEP 3 (and STEP 2 CK) pass/fail. They have already done this with STEP 1. Universities across the country have done this for all their Spring semester classes.

We need to start some kind of e-mail letter writing campaign and put pressure of the letters mafia (this includes AAMC/NRMP). Lets get this started. Maybe someone who is more eloquent and persuasive can write out a paragraph and we can all forward it to the entities below and flood their mailbox so that they can take action.

Thanks for your support.

View attachment 300219
How do you propose PDs differentiate between hundreds of applicants per spot?

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for your support.

View attachment 300219

Yes, because it’s about you right now...smh.

Reactions: 2 users
How do you propose PDs differentiate between hundreds of applicants per spot?
Hmm, this might take a lot of thinking...
Oh wait how about medical school dean's letters, clerkship performances and evaluations. Maybe like if we wrote some kind of personal statement, that might be helpful too. Maybe if I can also list things I have done like volunteer work. Hmm, just a thought..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, this might take a lot of thinking...
Oh wait how about medical school dean's letters, clerkship performances and evaluations. Maybe like if we wrote some kind of personal statement, that might be helpful too. Maybe if I can also list things I have done like volunteer work. Hmm, just a thought..
So a dean who has incentive to gloss up your LOR in order to beef up their own match list and your ability to write an essay? Now you want every PD to commit to reading >200pages of repetitive essays for every slot they have?

You said that with a lot of confidence. It’s a really poor substitution

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, because it’s about you right now...smh.
its about making more qualified personal available to help out. I didn't say lets get rid of STEP. Maybe you didn't read between the lines where I feel like I can better serve patients rather than worrying about a standardized score. Is about all the medical students and resident who stress out and compete about for a number. Did they not do this with STEP 1 already? Its about re-thinking priorities. I'm sorry if I'm rant but I am not entrenched in 15 years of dogma.

its about making more qualified personal available to help out. I didn't say lets get rid of STEP. Maybe you didn't read between the lines where I feel like I can better serve patients rather than worrying about a standardized score. Is about all the medical students and resident who stress out and compete about for a number. Did they not do this with STEP 1 already? Its about re-thinking priorities. I'm sorry if I'm rant but I am not entrenched in 15 years of dogma.
I think the step1 decision was a mistake.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess you did not have to travel... It was a $2000 travesty for me. How does the NBME get away with what is literally highway robbery?

“Protecting the public”

Which we all know is a load of crap. The NBOME uses the same party line to defend PE.

Status
Not open for further replies.