Campus safety UIC vs. Midwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennay41

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else find the geese at Midwestern awfully menacing? I kind of thought they were going to attack me. Haha and my dad fears for my safety at UIC! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Jennay41 said:
Did anyone else find the geese at Midwestern awfully menacing? I kind of thought they were going to attack me. Haha and my dad fears for my safety at UIC! :laugh:

We used to have attack geese here at Harper College. Now we just have a few seagulls.

I adore the campus at Midwestern. It is actually smaller than the community college I go to now and it is backed by a beautiful nature preserve. I will be doing stress relieving walks out there everyday.

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
I will be doing stress relieving walks out there everyday.
Chris

Does that mean you have decided?

Members don't see this ad :)
freshbeatschris said:
We used to have attack geese here at Harper College. Now we just have a few seagulls.

I adore the campus at Midwestern. It is actually smaller than the community college I go to now and it is backed by a beautiful nature preserve. I will be doing stress relieving walks out there everyday.

Chris

I just realized that CLC is bigger than Midwestern.

Midwestern Glendale has a huge security fence surrounding the whole campus, complete with guard station. I guess it's to keep out all those crackheads and roving gangs of thugs that wander aimlessly through affluent suburban Glendale.

I thought the campus was beautiful...but the security made it feel a little like a cult compound :scared:

insipid1979 said:
Does that mean you have decided?

As of today it is 99% for Midwestern and 1% for UIC. I will be making my final decision tomorrow.

Midwestern CCP is completely fenced in with a sercurity gate and guards. They are pretty mean if you forget your ID too...always get yelled at.

Yes, the biggest threat on campus is the geese. Those things are crazy. The only time there are cute is when the babies hatch in May and they all walk around following the mother...awww... They usually don't bother the students, you will occasionally get hissed at if you walk too close, but they crap on the sidewalks which can make the walk to class dangerous. Gross! The most entertaining is when this one crazy squirrel tries to fight with the geese. Other wildlife creeps around sometimes too...i've seen deer, racoons, and foxes on campus.

And don't even THINK about trying to ride Chester the horse statue....the securty KIA will be all over you in all of 5 seconds.

But yes, overall Midwestern is an extremely safe place to be. Plus it is right next to the million dollar mansions of Oak Brook. I love this place!

KARM12 said:
Plus it is right next to the million dollar mansions of Oak Brook. I love this place!

Wikipedia said:
The median income for a household in the village was $176,537, and the median income for a family was $200,000+. Males had a median income of $200,000+ versus $98,128 for females.
:eek:

That is almost as much as Kenilworth (and more than Glencoe according to Wikipedia)...I knew it was affluent...but geeze.

The median house value is way higher than that. Oak Brook is over $500,000 and Downers Grove is over $200,000. MWU is technically Downers Grove, but the neighboorhoods that border us are considered Oak Brook. My favorite thing is passing "Bear Manor" on 31st Street The one house is completely decorated with bear themed statues and fountains. It looks like a story book mansion! :laugh:

Too bad it makes you sad to think how poor you'll be after paying for this damn school for 4 years. I never though about it until I keep seeing my student loans increase. :scared: No worries...MWU gives you all the money you need to cover the expenses for now.

KARM12 said:
Yes, the biggest threat on campus is the geese. Those things are crazy. The only time there are cute is when the babies hatch in May and they all walk around following the mother...awww... They usually don't bother the students, you will occasionally get hissed at if you walk too close, but they crap on the sidewalks which can make the walk to class dangerous. Gross! The most entertaining is when this one crazy squirrel tries to fight with the geese. Other wildlife creeps around sometimes too...i've seen deer, racoons, and foxes on campus.

I don't do wildlife, therefore I'm going to UIC :laugh: It was a nice campus though except for the scary animals and poop.

Jennay41 said:
I don't do wildlife, therefore I'm going to UIC :laugh: It was a nice campus though except for the scary animals and poop.

I guess you have never heard of those rats with wings called pigeons. :p

insipid1979 said:
I guess you have never heard of those rats with wings called pigeons. :p

Plus the actual rats. Of course any big city has rat issues. Just look behind the buildings at all the rat traps.

Chris

The number of pigeons on west side is less than on the east side of UIC. At least now at Polk St. CTA station, you don't have pigeons swooping down on you, but they are still there. I have never seen a rat in or around the UIC COP. I have seen a rat in Burnham Hall on the East side of UIC. You have to remember UIC COP is in the near west side of Chicago, and Midwestern is in Downers Grove. The amount of crime is obviously different.

Pigeons don't really bother me. I didn't see them in any major abundance when I was there. I just noticed the fattest pigeons I've ever seen in my life! They were over by the Taylor Street "little Italy" and looked way too fat to attempt to swoop at somebody.

genesis09 said:
The number of pigeons on west side is less than on the east side of UIC. At least now at Polk St. CTA station, you don't have pigeons swooping down on you, but they are still there. I have never seen a rat in or around the UIC COP. I have seen a rat in Burnham Hall on the East side of UIC. You have to remember UIC COP is in the near west side of Chicago, and Midwestern is in Downers Grove. The amount of crime is obviously different.

Plus I don't think the pigeons or rats are committing any of the crimes. ;)

UIC has campus police patrolling 24/7.

The only crime you'll see there is petty theft like any college campus.

crossjb said:
UIC has campus police patrolling 24/7.

I've never heard that...I know they have their own "police department" type thing with Chicago...what exactly does "patrolling 24/7" mean anyways?

But I think that would make me feel even less safe if something like that is necessary.

Though it sounds weird, UIC is technically a safer campus then UIUC. I don't know how they got those numbers.
With the UIC police, you see them driving around. If anything happens, they will come. If you want to know UIC crime, they actually post the week's crime on UICNews. It's called Police Beat. I don't know if it includes crime reported to Chicago Police in the area.

crossjb said:
They have a police presence -- like any urban campus does -- patrolling around the clock.

Pretty much like most communities in the US? There is nothing really THAT special about it.

genesis09 said:
Though it sounds weird, UIC is technically a safer campus then UIUC. I don't know how they got those numbers.
With the UIC police, you see them driving around. If anything happens, they will come. If you want to know UIC crime, they actually post the week's crime on UICNews. It's called Police Beat. I don't know if it includes crime reported to Chicago Police in the area.

I went to UIUC for undergrad, and I believe it. It seemed like there was alot of crime, my apartment was even broken into once. I have an idea where they might have gotten the numbers though...drinking tickets. The bar age was 19 to get in, and they would get raided all the time and all the underage kids would get tickets.