1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can a 3.3 get in at Finch Really??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by einey, Nov 13, 2002.

1. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

Yeah, Finch is a lower tier school. I think their avg is 3.4/26

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Surfer, sailor, swimmer!
    7+ Year Member

Um, actually NO! Last year their average was around 3.5 and a 29 on the MCAT. They get tons of applications so it's not as easy to get in there as everyone thinks. Last year I applied and had a 3.7 and a 29P and didn't even get an interview. With a 3.3 and a 27 I would say your chances aren't so good but try anyway. :confused:

5. bioguy123

bioguy123 Member
    7+ Year Member

Einey-

If you've really got tons of clinicals as you say you do, you're as good as in- GUARANTEED. Also- MAKE SURE your LOR's are top-notch.

6. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

Bioguy please check your PMs.

7. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Since their average GPA is a 3.4, many people have less than that, probably some with even less than a 3.3, so its very possible.

8. scootad.

scootad. Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ain't no such thing as a guarantee in life, especially in med school admissions.

9. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

except death. have a nice day.

10. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

Finch University of Health Sc.
    GPA
    VR
    BS
    PS

You're right on the MCAT but I'm right on the GPA :p

11. siempre595

7+ Year Member

I think we're forgetting that a 3.3 can get in at a lot of places. All those numbers that get thrown up there are averages. People are getting in all over with higher and lower numbers. I work with an md/phd in a lab at WashU that had a 3.4 in college. Granted, he also spent four years in the Czech republic, speaks three languages, and was waitlisted till the last second....but he got in. I think applying to Finch with a 3.3 is very realistic.

12. anxiousmed

anxiousmed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well let me tell you all the inside scoop on Finch. I am currently in a student in their MS in Applied Physio program. Each year they accept around 50-60 kids from this program into their regular program. "We" are the people that LOWER their general admissions stats. The regular M1 kids are extremely intelligent with above avg stats......3.6 31mcat+ so I would be careful when I look at their numbers. The director of admissions broke it down to us.....the AP class has an avg of a 3.2 gpa and 27 MCAT whereas the "normal" m1's have a 3.6 31 MCAT avg.....so if you're trying regular, I wouldn't use their published numbers exclusively. Hope this helps.
    Anxious

13. care bear

care bear pink fuzzy user
    7+ Year Member

i 've always had the theory that the averages for med schools are also reflective of variances within individual applicants' applications.
    for example, do many of the schools like finch w/about 3.4/29 avg stats accept plenty of ppl. w/ 3.7 and 24, and plenty ppl. w/3.1 and 34? it seems like that sort of variance is pretty realistic (both of the 'imaginary' applicants above are gonna be crippled by one half of their stats, but when you avg. them together. . .
    you get the avg. applicant at a school like finch.)
    at least, that's what i'm banking on. ..
    just a disclaimer, as i said before, this is just a little theory that i thought up in my little mind; it has *no* real validity whatsoever, but i'd be interested to know what others think.

14. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

no, it's not sol. you just never know. i mean, the numbers aren't great, but if you have good ec's and lor's you never know what can happen.

15. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

I don't know if I'd call my LORs great, but I saw mine and they seemed pretty nice. a lot of profs will actually give you a copy to look at AFTER they sent in their LOR to the schools. That's what happened to me.