Can a 3.3 get in at Finch Really??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

einey

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, Finch is a lower tier school. I think their avg is 3.4/26

[Yeah, Finch is a lower tier school. I think their avg is 3.4/26

Um, actually NO! Last year their average was around 3.5 and a 29 on the MCAT. They get tons of applications so it's not as easy to get in there as everyone thinks. Last year I applied and had a 3.7 and a 29P and didn't even get an interview. With a 3.3 and a 27 I would say your chances aren't so good but try anyway. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Einey-

If you've really got tons of clinicals as you say you do, you're as good as in- GUARANTEED. Also- MAKE SURE your LOR's are top-notch.

Bioguy please check your PMs.

Since their average GPA is a 3.4, many people have less than that, probably some with even less than a 3.3, so its very possible.

ain't no such thing as a guarantee in life, especially in med school admissions.

Originally posted by scootad.
ain't no such thing as a guarantee in life, especially in med school admissions.

except death. have a nice day.

Finch University of Health Sc.
GPA
VR
BS
PS

You're right on the MCAT but I'm right on the GPA :p

I think we're forgetting that a 3.3 can get in at a lot of places. All those numbers that get thrown up there are averages. People are getting in all over with higher and lower numbers. I work with an md/phd in a lab at WashU that had a 3.4 in college. Granted, he also spent four years in the Czech republic, speaks three languages, and was waitlisted till the last second....but he got in. I think applying to Finch with a 3.3 is very realistic.

Well let me tell you all the inside scoop on Finch. I am currently in a student in their MS in Applied Physio program. Each year they accept around 50-60 kids from this program into their regular program. "We" are the people that LOWER their general admissions stats. The regular M1 kids are extremely intelligent with above avg stats......3.6 31mcat+ so I would be careful when I look at their numbers. The director of admissions broke it down to us.....the AP class has an avg of a 3.2 gpa and 27 MCAT whereas the "normal" m1's have a 3.6 31 MCAT avg.....so if you're trying regular, I wouldn't use their published numbers exclusively. Hope this helps.
Anxious

i 've always had the theory that the averages for med schools are also reflective of variances within individual applicants' applications.
for example, do many of the schools like finch w/about 3.4/29 avg stats accept plenty of ppl. w/ 3.7 and 24, and plenty ppl. w/3.1 and 34? it seems like that sort of variance is pretty realistic (both of the 'imaginary' applicants above are gonna be crippled by one half of their stats, but when you avg. them together. . .
you get the avg. applicant at a school like finch.)
at least, that's what i'm banking on. ..
just a disclaimer, as i said before, this is just a little theory that i thought up in my little mind; it has *no* real validity whatsoever, but i'd be interested to know what others think.

no, it's not sol. you just never know. i mean, the numbers aren't great, but if you have good ec's and lor's you never know what can happen.

Originally posted by Molybdenum
Since the letters of rec are supposed to be confidential, how in the world can we be sure the LORs are great without actually looking at them?

I don't know if I'd call my LORs great, but I saw mine and they seemed pretty nice. a lot of profs will actually give you a copy to look at AFTER they sent in their LOR to the schools. That's what happened to me.