Can a cosigner make up for bad credit when applying to Grad Plus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillyK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally got into medical school this year, but unfortunately I have bad credit. I was wondering if I'm automatically disqualified for Grad Plus even if I get a cosigner. I filed bankruptcy a little over two years ago to discharge credit card debt. Before that I also had a lot of late payments on credit cards and student loans (sometimes 120days late).
But since filing bankruptcy I've been squeaky clean and my credit rating went from 480 to 684. I've learned to manage my finances and currently have zero unsecured debt (just paid it off). I've also been on time for more than four years on my ugrad student loans since consolidating in 2004.
I was curious. Given that my credit score isn't bad and my recent credit history is immaculate (last 27 months since bankruptcy) would there be lenders who would give me a Grad Plus if I got a creditworthy cosigner?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Even better would be someone who can tell me about getting a GradPlus with their less than stellar credit record.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need perfect credit history for grad plus. Are you sure you need to tap into it anyway? Your stafford limit could be enough ($40,500) if your cost of attendance isn't that high.

"Meet credit eligibility requirements -- no debts 90 days or more delinquent and no defaulted student loans, wage garnishment, bankruptcy or foreclosure in the past 5 years."

If you declared bankruptcy 2 years ago then you won't be eligible for grad plus.

I personally would check with various lenders and talk about your situation. I know one of my friends actually got approved for grad plus even though he filed for bankruptcy after being sidelined for a the better part of a year after a car accident. Sometimes lenders will make exceptions after a thorough review of your credit situation.

Barring that you could always get a cosigner. But again all of this depends on the individual lenders. I'm not sure whether this credit climate will affect your chances. I'd ask your school or schools to give you lists of their preferred lenders and then hit the phones.

Good Luck! Congrats on turning yourself around financially as well.