Can a DPT student work as a PT assistant while still in school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a DPT student work as a PT assistant while still in school. This will help the person get experience as well as earn some money to help with the college expenses.

Members don't see this ad.

Can a DPT student work as a PT assistant while still in school. This will help the person get experience as well as earn some money to help with the college expenses.

A PT student can work as a PT Aide not as an assistant while in school. You need to have degree in PTA and have a PTA license to practice as a PTA.

Do some places hire PT aide, and do you know how much they get paid? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some places hire PT aide, and do you know how much they get paid? Thanks

Yeah they certainly do especially the hospitals. Hourly wage varies but I worked for 10 bucks an hour as an aide.

Just as the previous poster stated, you need to graduate from a PTA program and be licensed to be an assistant. As for an aide, you don't have to have any licensure. I worked as an aide for a year before applying to PT school to get some hours. The placed that hired me was a private practice ortho clinic. They started me at 9.00/hr, but when I left I was getting paid 12.75/hr.