Can a letter from someone IMPORTANT help with admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iFearMCAT

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not talking about getting a letter from President Obama or the Queen of England (although that would be pretty damn cool):).

I'm talking about someone, like a chair of a notable department or a dean of a school. I know that every letter should be based on meaningful relationships, but under these conditions do you think ADCOMs pay more attention to letters from "established" people in the medical field.

Say for instance your PI is the chair of a top nationally recognized department in medicine and internationally recognized. Even better, my friend at school in NE does research with a Nobel Laureate :eek::eek:. Will a letter from a person of this stature mean more. I know it matters for residency, but what about med school applications?

Finally, everyone shadows...I mean EVERYONE shadows, but my friend at another school was given the opportunity to shadow the Dean (actually I think the Dean emeritus but whatever, its a top 10 med school). His PI was good friends with the dean I guess and hooked him up, lucky S%#:mad:. Has anyone here ever shadowed a dean of a med school, do they practice medicine? Is this rare? How would a letter from the Dean look in admissions, both at a home med school and at other institutions.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont see why not. it certainly won't hurt. i recently just had a good friend of mine (a congressman in the US House of Representatives) just send one in for me. just make sure it is worthwhile. medical school admissions committees/people can read write through standardized letters (the BS letters) and ones that were written with passion/knowledge of the individual

regarding shadowing, i'm sure it helps, but certainly won't guarantee anything. i shadowed a world-reknown pediatric oncologist/hematologist who is responsible for coming up with the aggressive chemotherapy protocol for slow response patients with ALL, raising the cure rate much high and is responsible for another protocol for osteosarcomas.....he has stayed with royalty in China (for the Olympics to which he was invited), Saudi Arabia...i can go on.....he works at a top 15 medical school and is not the dean, but is friendly with him.....i got an interview at that school. did i get in? no. i'm waiting for waitlist mail. did it help me get an interview or wherever my spot might be at that school? maybe. there are other factors of my app that kept me out.

so essentially, if all things are equal between two applicants, perhaps shadowing the dean of the school or a letter from a significant/famous/whatever person might help. but there are never guarantees.

Unless there is a strong personal relationship and a logical reason for that person to be recommending you, you just look foolish.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'm not talking about getting a letter from President Obama or the Queen of England (although that would be pretty damn cool):).

I'm talking about someone, like a chair of a notable department or a dean of a school. I know that every letter should be based on meaningful relationships, but under these conditions do you think ADCOMs pay more attention to letters from "established" people in the medical field.

Say for instance your PI is the chair of a top nationally recognized department in medicine and internationally recognized. Even better, my friend at school in NE does research with a Nobel Laureate :eek::eek:. Will a letter from a person of this stature mean more. I know it matters for residency, but what about med school applications?

Finally, everyone shadows...I mean EVERYONE shadows, but my friend at another school was given the opportunity to shadow the Dean (actually I think the Dean emeritus but whatever, its a top 10 med school). His PI was good friends with the dean I guess and hooked him up, lucky S%#:mad:. Has anyone here ever shadowed a dean of a med school, do they practice medicine? Is this rare? How would a letter from the Dean look in admissions, both at a home med school and at other institutions.

based on personal experience, i'll say... get the letter if you have a relationship with the person (research, took a class, whatever) but don't count on it helping at all. can't hurt, though.

If your relationship is strictly professional, then it can turn out ok. If the person first met you because you are a neighbor, or his nephew's roommate, or some other personal relationship (and to this I would add babysitter or other household worker), then the letter is considered biased and of little value.

As an aside, letters from politicians, particularly if sent to public schools over which the LOR writer has the power of the purse, are never a good idea.