Can a optometrist become a ophthalmologist…MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calvin Ahmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know you can by going back to medical school. But my question is, do you need to take the MCATS or do you just go straight into a program and complete it?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask what made you change your mind to ophthalmology? Was optometry not as fulfilling? Ty for your time :)

i know you can by going back to medical school. But my question is, do you need to take the MCATS or do you just go straight into a program and complete it?

Yes you would have to apply to medical school just like everyone else, which means you have to take the MCAT and score well to be competitive for admission. I think the only advantage you would have in this position is that completing a professional degree shows that you can manage and handle a medical school curriculum as well. However, schools will question your decision of why you are giving up on your profession. If you want to be an ophthalmologist, apply straight to med school - there is absolutely no reason to complete an optometry degree prior to med school. You're looking at 4-5 years of wasted time and money which will add on to 8-10 years of med school education. Another thing to keep in mind is that ophthalmology residency spots are not handed out for free, you will have to perform really well in school to secure yourself a spot in a very competitive residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes you would have to apply to medical school just like everyone else, which means you have to take the MCAT and score well to be competitive for admission. I think the only advantage you would have in this position is that completing a professional degree shows that you can manage and handle a medical school curriculum as well. However, schools will question your decision of why you are giving up on your profession. If you want to be an ophthalmologist, apply straight to med school - there is absolutely no reason to complete an optometry degree prior to med school. You're looking at 4-5 years of wasted time and money which will add on to 8-10 years of med school education. Another thing to keep in mind is that ophthalmology residency spots are not handed out for free, you will have to perform really well in school to secure yourself a spot in a very competitive residency.
And it requires a lot of research. It is very hard to match into ophthalmology.

Reactions: 1 user