can a person with autism spectrum disorder and a ged be a trauma surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CAMM95

Hi I'm currently wanting to be a trauma surgeon, but I have a small problem I didn't finish high school due to excessive bullying so I'm getting my ged along with the fact that I have a high functioning form of autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, bipolar disorder, anxiety, OCD, and insomnia. I'm very capable of doing many things to a great ability and intellectually I'm very smart, I actually wanted to become a trauma surgeon years before the tv show the good doctor even came out. I have compassion, a ton of patience, a will to help people, I'm very eager to learn, and I'm very good at researching. I also have extremely good long term memory, but when it comes to short term it just depends like if I keep at it what ever it may be that I'm doing then ill remember it for the rest of my life. So my question is very simple out of all that I have stated above is it possible for me to follow my dream and get into med school and become a trauma surgeon.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure it's possible, though if you couldn't handle high school, it will be very difficult. Med school is commonly compared to high school. But more importantly don't let TV shows color your perception of what it's like to be surgeon. Try to shadow some physicians to see if you can handle the interpersonal responsibilities or if it's a job you'd even want.

upload_2018-4-19_14-47-31.png

Sure it's possible, though if you couldn't handle high school, it will be very difficult. Med school is commonly compared to high school. But more importantly don't let TV shows color your perception of what it's like to be surgeon. Try to shadow some physicians to see if you can handle the interpersonal responsibilities or if it's a job you'd even want.

View attachment 232315

I actually wanted to be a surgeon years before the show aired, and I was an honor student in high school top grades, I’m extremely good at math there were even times when I was correcting the teacher on answers. And I shouldn’t have used the word excessive bullying it was more like all the kids my age we’re doing the bullying and it’s a long story but to keep it simple and short I was home schooled because of the bullying in my sophomore year unfortunately the home school that I was enrolled in got shut down so by the time I went back to my high school all the kids in my grade we’re seniors and graduating so it was all my younger brothers friends I was in school with and they all looked up to me and after that it was fine but due to my age I had to go with the ged route because I was going to be 21 before I graduated. Now days I stull run into kids who bullied me and who didn’t and they’re all nice to me in my opinion it was a maturity thing and I always acted older than I really was my parents say I act like an ww2 old timer than a teenager when all the kids acted their age which is probably why I probably get along really well with older people and like I said I think it was a maturity thing with kids my age and in high school I was more like the adult than the teenager and now that they’ve matured they’re actually very nice to me when I run into to them and some have actually apologized. So on hearing this is your opinion still the same or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually wanted to be a surgeon years before the show aired, and I was an honor student in high school top grades, I’m extremely good at math there were even times when I was correcting the teacher on answers. And I shouldn’t have used the word excessive bullying it was more like all the kids my age we’re doing the bullying and it’s a long story but to keep it simple and short I was home schooled because of the bullying in my sophomore year unfortunately the home school that I was enrolled in got shut down so by the time I went back to my high school all the kids in my grade we’re seniors and graduating so it was all my younger brothers friends I was in school with and they all looked up to me and after that it was fine but due to my age I had to go with the ged route because I was going to be 21 before I graduated. Now days I stull run into kids who bullied me and who didn’t and they’re all nice to me in my opinion it was a maturity thing and I always acted older than I really was my parents say I act like an ww2 old timer than a teenager when all the kids acted their age which is probably why I probably get along really well with older people and like I said I think it was a maturity thing with kids my age and in high school I was more like the adult than the teenager and now that they’ve matured they’re actually very nice to me when I run into to them and some have actually apologized. So on hearing this is your opinion still the same or what?
My opinion is still that you need to expose your more to the physician profession before deciding that medical school is right for you.

Reactions: 1 user
The question is do you really know what being a physician is like? Have you shadowed? Have you shadowed in an OR? Have you done research or taking any biology classes?

All those things can help you figure out if you want to commit to this path.

A GED is not going to stop you from getting into medical school. They don’t care about high school. They care about academic performance in college and the MCAT as well as demonstrated commitment to the profession.

I know a guy with great stats (520, 3.8, engineering major, T20 undergrad) who attended 6 interviews in the 2016 cycle and received zero acceptances. He was very seriously lacking in the social skills department (no eye contact, no voice volume regulation, no ability to relate to people), and that probably came across in all of his interviews. He's going for a PhD in electrical engineering now, which is probably the path he should have chosen in the first place.

My point is that you will have to try extra hard to prepare for your medical school interviews (if you ultimately decide that this is truly the path for you).

Get your GED, go to college, get a 3.8-4.0 GPA then we’ll talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.