can a pharmacist administer IM anti-psychotics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LittleMissB

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone work at a pharmacy with a program in place to administer long-acting IM anti-psychotics? I know an owner of a pharmacy who wants to start such a program and have the pharmacist do the administering. Does the APhA certification for pharmacist-administered immunizations allow us as pharmacists to give injections of other classes... or strictly only vaccinations?

I realize a physician-directed protocol must be in place... but is there any other type of certification required on the pharmacists part?

I would appreciate any info on this topic as I have searched so much online and can't get find an answer. I did stumble upon one pharmacy in WA that does this and emailed them, but if I could hear sooner from someone on SDN that knows then that would be great. Thanks~!
 
This will depend on state law. In some states, pharmacists are only allowed to administer vaccines, so what you describe would be illegal.
 
This will depend on state law. In some states, pharmacists are only allowed to administer vaccines, so what you describe would be illegal.

True, thanks for the reply, Dalteparin. Yesterday I spent a lot of time looking through the fine print of my state's business and professions codes and found the answers I was looking for. Turns out in California it is allowed, but under very specific conditions. For anyone in California that read this post and wanted the answer and details, you can find it in Chapter 9 Division 2 Article 3 section 4052.2.