Can a podiatrist be a hospitalist full-time and not work at a clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunyplatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone knew if podiatrist positions exist full-time working solely at a hospital and not at a clinic in much the same way internal medicine (diagnostics) hospitalists and general surgeons do? I believe I would prefer this setting over a clinic but I don't know if this is possible full-time.

Members don't see this ad.

I’d say about ~40% of the pods I know are hospitalists and it is becoming more prevelant as time has gone on. A decade ago I knew maybe a handful of pods that worked in hospitals but that number has increased.

Internal medicine docs take care of inpatients and once discharged will go to PCP. Podiatrists will do the inpatient surgery but once discharged is usually followed up by the same podiatrist, sometimes in a clinic within or affiliated with the hospital, or in the podiatrist's private practice. There is no such thing as a podiatrist that does only the surgery and none of the follow-up. Even Ortho trauma docs have clinic to follow-up their surgery. No one wants to do follow-up for someone else's work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users