CourbenMD

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello Everyone,
My name is Benjamin I am a first year med student studying at columbia's program in Israel.
I want to go into surgery.
Now I am an MS-1, what do I have to do to get a good residency application.

- How do I find a mentor and how is he/she supposed to help me

- I have to do research. In what? surgery? so little opportunities!?

- Is shadowing important?

- Are there any official internship opportunities (summer) for MS-1 interested in surgery.

Your help will be welcome

Thanks

Ben

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Hello Everyone,
My name is Benjamin I am a first year med student studying at columbia's program in Israel.
I want to go into surgery.
Now I am an MS-1, what do I have to do to get a good residency application.

- How do I find a mentor and how is he/she supposed to help me

- I have to do research. In what? surgery? so little opportunities!?

- Is shadowing important?

- Are there any official internship opportunities (summer) for MS-1 interested in surgery.

Your help will be welcome

Thanks

Ben
Best to contact your school advisor for specific instructions.

About the Ads

WellWornLad

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is shadowing important?
:laugh:

Yeah, you really need to talk to someone at your school, as it's just too much stuff to write down here.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Find yourself a practicing surgeon @your medical school, preferably one with a high rank like full professor. Attach yourself to him. Try to spend time observing him in the OR. Ask if he knows anyone who needs a research assistant for next summer.

You could search the AMA and AMSA web sites for lists of summer opportunities. Your med school should have such a list also (? student or academic affairs office).

Try to get a research position this summer, working with a surgeon who has published numerous research papers. Perhaps you could find something @Columbia in New York, if you try. Try sending a short email to the chair of the general surgery dept. there, and perhaps other faculty who are involved in research. Working with an MD is helpful > working for a PhD. Working for an MD surgeon > working for an MD in other specialties (i.e internal medicine trained, etc.).

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with talking to a surgeon chair at yoru school, get involved in the school surgery club, etc....

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My school has lots of specialty interest groups with people that can answer these questions. See if your school has them too.

About the Ads