Can a West Coaster offer perspective on UCSD vs UCLA vs UCSF

Started by berger911
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Possibly medical students at either? The general reputation of each institution? Thank you.

Not a west-coaster, but just interviewed at 2/3. UCSF is the strongest and most competitive program. UCLA is probably next, and UCSD would have the lowest rep. Don't forget about USC (probably also above UCSD), as well as Irvine and Davis. There are are also plenty of Kaiser programs if research or fellowship isn't your thing.
 
Not a west-coaster, but just interviewed at 2/3. UCSF is the strongest and most competitive program. UCLA is probably next, and UCSD would have the lowest rep. Don't forget about USC (probably also above UCSD), as well as Irvine and Davis. There are are also plenty of Kaiser programs if research or fellowship isn't your thing.

I'd somewhat agree with this.

UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC/UCI

I feel USC has a lot more historical importance/prestige when they used to do 10,000+ deliveries a year. They're a solid program and you'll be trained well.

Irvine has DiSaia and a well developed GYN oncology program. UCSD does have all 4 fellowships. USC has 3/4. I think they are working on a official pelvic medicine/reconstructive surgery fellowship that fulfills ABOG criteria.


These rankings are in terms of academic 'power.' You will be well trained as a generalist at any of these programs including the numerous community programs in california.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, if you're not stuck on California, OHSU and UW are very strong West coast OBGYN programs. UW is the strongest; not as strong as UCSF, but on par or above UCLA (depending on who you are and what you're looking for). OHSU is also extremely well regarded, though not a Fellowship powerhouse. Aaron Caughey just took over there though, and we'll have to see the direction he takes the program in. I'd probably put OHSU above UCSD/UCI/USC/UCDavis
 
I'd somewhat agree with this.

UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC/UCI

I feel USC has a lot more historical importance/prestige when they used to do 10,000+ deliveries a year. They're a solid program and you'll be trained well.

Irvine has DiSaia and a well developed GYN oncology program. UCSD does have all 4 fellowships. USC has 3/4. I think they are working on a official pelvic medicine/reconstructive surgery fellowship that fulfills ABOG criteria.


These rankings are in terms of academic 'power.' You will be well trained as a generalist at any of these programs including the numerous community programs in california.

Small correction:
USC has fellowships: Onc, REI, MFM, Urogyn, MIS, and Family planning.
 
I've heard that there may be problems with clinical volume at UCSF - you might want to glance at their numbers or talk to someone who knows. It certainly has an unsurpassed academic reputation, though, and would be a great place to go for research.