Can an arrest record not show up on a background check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The Doom & Gloom

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an arrest record without conviction.
I thought I'd run a background check on my own before employment, and nothing shows up?
Is this possible?
The arrest happened out of state--not within the county that I am living in.
I had paid for background checks twice already, and nothing shows up.
 
Last edited:
What kind of checks did you run- nationwide, 7 year background checks? Or just state-wide ones? Background checks miss a lot of stuff- even the ones that purport to be quite thorough.

Also: arrest without conviction can mean a lot of things. Were you acquitted? Receive a continuation without official finding? Or flee the area and never showed in court?

Regardless: Don't lie on an application about this if applying for a government job- they will catch you, and there will be hell to pay.
 
I have an arrest record without conviction.
I thought I'd run a background check on my own before employment, and nothing shows up?
Is this possible?
The arrest happened out of state--not within the county that I am living in.
I had paid for background checks twice already, and nothing shows up.

It depends on whether or not a UCR report was filed (and yes, they do on arrests as well). Might be that the arresting officer didn't fill out the paperwork and file it. I'd still disclose that I was arrested for the reasons above. However, I'm surprised that it didn't come up. It possibly went on some other Doom and Gloom name (it's happened before).