Can an MCAT of 23 get you into UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingnkay

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, does anybody know if you have an MCAT of 23 and a 4.0 GPA, if you can get into UNC chapel hill or any of the big schools. I have not applied and I think that my MCAT might be a negative factor. Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your ethnic Background?

What is your ethnic Background?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, a 4.0GPA and a 23 MCAT is REALLY inconsistent. What happened? Maybe you had a bad day. I would strongly suggest retaking it.

What does ethnic background have to do with anything DT? He got a 4.0GPA, which at least means he's pretty smart.

Either way, if you get an interview, the adcom will probably want an explanation on the inconsistency since according to your GPA you should have gotten a ~36 on the MCAT. Good luck.

The reason i asked of your ethnic Background was because if you are considered one of the
minorities, you will certainly get an interview. Your G.P.A is certainly strong, however, the standardized test does not correlate with smartness. I strongly recommend you retake the MCAT, but see how the application process works out. Either way good luck. Best thing to do is call the medical school you are interested in and ask their opinion and explain your situation, you can be anonymus if you like.

MIGLO,

I beg to differ...A 4.0 GPA doesn't necessarly mean that one is "pretty smart", although the original poster may be so.
It may also mean that he went to a community college, or to a very weak undergrad institution, with inflated grades.

His best bet is probably to retake the MCAT.If the first result was a fluke it will show. On the other hand, medical schools are rightly concerned about candidates who have major difficulties taking standardized tests, such as the MCAT, since they will have to take the USMLE or COMLEX, which will make the MCAT look like an entrance exam for pre-school...

Thats true, I didn't consider that it could have been an inflated 4.0.

KingnKay
I am curious what happened during the MCAT test. True your grades are awesome. Where did you recieve your undergraduate? I would most likely retake you MCAT. However, I did know of a guy who,like you, had a ideal GPA but when he recieved his MCAT scores they were extremely low. The medical school he applied to did call him for an interview (I guess to see if he could speak or breath, because his score were that bad.) He was acccepted because what had happened was, the night before his MCAT testing one of his friends tried to commit suicide so he stayed awake all night for his friend. When he went to take he MCAT he fell asleep and woke up with 30 minutes left to test. The medical committee saw this as a compasionate act, so they accepted him. He is through with medical school and a fantastic doc. He been practicing for a good twenty years now. So again, what happened?

[This message has been edited by Pebbles (edited 10-27-1999).]

Also, KingnKay -
What is your breakdown? If one weak area dragged you down (like verbal), is there a reason? I know someone whose first language is not English, so verbal hurt him a lot.
Kim

Hi all, Thanks for the fast response. Basically, my studying strategy for the MCAT was just know the material and stuff. But When I got to the exam, it was different. I found myself in another situation in the sense that I was fine with the material but I lacked speed in any kind of form. In verbal I got a 6 and did only about 30 questions out of 65. In the Physical sciences the same story. I did 35 questions and then I got a 7 on that. Afternoon was better. I kind of figured what I was in for so. In the Biological Sciences section, I did about 45 to 47 questions and I got a 10. The writing sample I got a "P" on. So like I said before, the speed aspect of the whole thing nailed me hands down.
About my ethnic background, I'm of African heritage and English is my second language. I think that if I could read faster, the MCAT would not have been a problem for me.
About my grades, I can assure you that Grade Inflation is not with my school especially my major which is Biochem. I literally have no life outside of this institution and also with the almighty God's help, I achieved good grades and I pray to keep it that way.

I think if you read faster, your MCAT scores would be pretty awesome. I mean if you only answered like half the questions and not get a 2 or something, then you must of did pretty well on those you did answer. Maybe you should take a speed reading course if you don't get in this year. You definitely need to pace yourself more. Anyway, I think you should just apply and see what happens. And be sure to explain this discrepancy to them on the application or in the interview.

Well, I'm not an expert, but if you only answered 45-47 questions on the Biological Sciences test and got a 10, I think you basically got all that you did correct, which means you do know your stuff. I think you should take it again, if possible, because if you took some practice tests under timed conditions and figured out how to pace yourself, you would do AWESOME. When I started studying for the MCAT, I wasn't fast enough either...but I took about 4-5 timed practice tests and managed to improve my bio/phys scores each by 5-6 points. (I was able to finish all of the questions, but it sounds like you'd only have to answer 50-60 to get 10+ on the science sections.)

One thing that helped me speed up is that I stopped spending a ton of time reading the passages themselves...I skimmed for a general idea, then looked at the questions, and referred to the passage when necessary to answer them. Also, I started with the "free-standing" questions first...there are usually 3-4 clusters of them, and one is at the end. They were easy points for me, and I didn't want to run out of time before I got to them. Maybe you already do that stuff...just thought it might be helpful.

Also, if you haven't applied yet, as you mentioned in one of your posts, it seems like you would be able to take the test in April and be right on schedule to apply for 2001. It can't hurt to try it another time, and it might be a big help in strengthening your application.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

It sounds like you are in great shape! I dont mean right now b/c it is obvious that you need some work on that MCAT to be as competitive as you want. I was a little concerned as well about the discrepency in your GPA compared to your MCAT. However, you have given a great explaination. First of all, congradulations on your undergrad accomplishments. It is obvious that you are a tremendous student. It appears from what you are telling us that 1. you have the intellilect to success in med school and 2. you have the focus and desire as well. Your MCAT problem can probably be fixed. It sounds as if you did not prepare much for the test. You said you did not know how to pace yourself, but by the end of the day you were catching on. Get some practice test or maybe even consider taking the test prep courses. I know that there are some negative opinions on them, but I htink that your situation lends itself very nicely to what they offer. They are limited in their ability to teach science concepts students don't already know, but they can do a lot to help focus your test taking skills. Again, you can do this on your own just do something. I dont know you or your situation, but from what you've told us, you sound like a great candidate. You just need to master the reading problem. Hang in there and you might consider taking a speed reading course.
PS
I dont know if you like football or not, but you seem to fit into the old draft day adage "draft speed b/c you can teach skills, but be wary of skills b/c you can't teach speed." Some students get low scores just b/c they are limited intellectually and there is not much they can do to fix that. We are all made differently. Others, like yourself, are very intelligent but just need to find a different approach. This is very doable. Put in the work, make the changes, and you will find yourself as an M1.
smile.gif

Well speaking from my own experience, I had UNC on my list of schools through AMCAS and didn't even receive a secondary. My GPA is 3.78 and my MCATS were 10P, 10B, 8V with an R in writing. They are VERY selective if you are out of state!

[This message has been edited by Brie (edited 11-11-1999).]

KingNKay;

Another tidbit of advice...take the Princeton Review. Their course focuses on test-taking techniques and timing. At least that's what I most got out of it. A review course is not the place to learn the material...but, from your description, you don't sound like that's your problem...IMPROVE YOUR TECHNIQUES and you will JAM!

Secondly, the speed reading course might be a great addendum as well.

Best of luck and success to you!!!!!

------------------
Old Man Dave
KCOM, Class of 2003

I hate to break it to you, but if you really "have no life outside of this institution," you can kiss your chances at UNC, or probably any allopathic medical school goodbye. Ad comms are not looking for a person that can sstudy 24/7 and get a 4.0....about the MCAT, I would suggest taking Kaplan...I took it and the full length tests on Saturdays really helped me get a feel for the test...I think it payed of because I did really well....just my $.02