Can anyone comment about doing AOA rotations as a foreign med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some friends, and I most likely, will be placed into some AOA rotations for my core clinicals.

Right now I'm leaning on coming back to texas. Does anyone know what the policy is about AOA rotations?

Are AOA rotations seen as the equivalent as a ACGME rotation? Or I would be able to do a certain amoun tof week in a AOA rotation?

This isn't a DO vs MD discussion/fight. I just know that certain licensing boards in different states view these rotations differently.

Just trying to make sure I dont make a mistake that I dont regret down the line. ie choosing to come back to texas and then being able to because my family practice core was done in a AOA rotation and thus not counted.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not call TX State Board of Medical Examiners and ask them?

Friend of mine has been doing a ton of research (for the past 2 years) on making sure her IMG husband can retain eligibility to come back to TX, and she says yes, ACGME or AOA are both accepted.

But if I were you, I wouldn't take my 3rd-hand word for it, I'd pick up the phone....

I am assigned to St. John's Episcopal in Far Rockaway, NY for one of my core rotation. I just found out that it is not ACGME approved institution. Rather, It is an AOA certified hospital. Will that pose problems in the future? I could not find the state (TX or PA) requirements on the web? Pls help

Thanks

i guess this goes a bit further in terms of acgme accredidation.

To be acgme certified does it have to have a residency in place for that rotation or does it get blanket coverage if its associated with a medical school?