Can anyone help me with this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapewrath

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question that's been pestering me. Well, I'm a third-year medical student, and I'm mostly interested in pediatrics. In fact, I love it. I did my rotation a few months ago, and it was just great. However, I recently received my grade for Peds, and I think (I say I think, because I still have to clarify something with my roommate, who has my grade and comments, since I'm away for a month) I just got a "Pass." That's average at my med school because we're on an Honors, High Pass, Pass, etc., system.

That worries me, though, because I really want to get into a good pediatric residency program. I'm just not sure if I'll still have a good chance at getting into a good program if I just received a Pass. Is there anyone that can give me input on what my chances are (assuming I do better in Peds AI and electives later on)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No worries. I didn't do so hot on my 3rd year Peds rotation at all, but I learned my lesson and did as well as I could on my peds sub-I 4th year and peds electives (which are much easier to do well on, I think) and got some pretty strong LOR's which is what my application had been riding on this whole time. I had a good interview-offer:initial-reject ratio, and we'll see how Match Day fares.
I've heard from my advisor that a visible improvement from 3rd to 4th year is quite impressive, whether that's by grades or by letter of rec. So no worries! You'll figure out the cogwheels and get things rolling once you're an MS-IV. Keep up the good work, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the little ones. (The big and old ones are not so pleasant).

-Todd MS-IV USC

I agree with the OP. Most programs know that you're still kinda a 'newbie' when you do your core peds. I think what really matters is doing a couple of peds rotations (a peds sub-I and and elective at programs you are interested in for residency) early-to-mid 4th year. This is what I did. I did a PICU and NICU rotation and an "easy" Peds GI elective at my two top choices for residency and it helped tremendously.

Not only does it look good if you shine on these rotations, but you can get great LORs, too. Not once on my interviews did I get questioned about my not-so-stellar month on my first peds rotation. They were impressed with my LORs and my evaluations from these rotations.

So don't sweat it! Good luck!

~kiki

one more day before I officially certify my rank list!!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation last year- peds was my first rotation and I walked away with both a pass and a very strong letter of recommendaton. (No, I don't understand it either.) I don't think that the pass hurt me at all- I received interviews at almost every program I applied to, and most of my inteviewers have focused mainly on my letters and my personal statement when they mentioned anything about my application at all. Just get good letters and work hard on your subI and electives... you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Paige

Another note of agreement here,
Someone I know very well got a pass in her 3rd year rotation but did well above the Natl mean on step I (important, even for peds) and got a couple fantastic letters from acting internships. Interestingly, one of these letters is from a rotation which she got "pass" also. As you know, grading students is an imperfect science.

Anyway, she got interviews and has gotten very favorable feedback from the top programs on the west coast.

Good luck and don't stress about it.

MadC

Hi,

Thank you guys very much for helping me and giving me hope. You all are great.

:)

Well, of course we're great...we're all going into peds.

:laugh: :laugh: :D :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the appreciative post and we hope you kick some butt in the upcoming rotations!

-Todd MS-IV USC

Originally posted by madcadaver
Another note of agreement here,
Someone I know very well got a pass in her 3rd year rotation but did well above the Natl mean on step I (important, even for peds) and got a couple fantastic letters from acting internships. Interestingly, one of these letters is from a rotation which she got "pass" also. As you know, grading students is an imperfect science.

Anyway, she got interviews and has gotten very favorable feedback from the top programs on the west coast.

Good luck and don't stress about it.

MadC

Hi Grape and others,

I wanted to update you on this-- the person I was talking about got her first choice, one of the top programs in the country. So if you don't Honor peds, it's not the end of the world. Keep working hard and good things will happen.

MadC