Can anyone tell me...I really need to know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyinblue0912

healthy optimist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys

I'm an incoming junior this fall
I have been wondering about this for the longest time...
but before my questions
here's me..

I am from a UC but not among the famous ones
I have a 3.9 cum GPA
I have done research since my freshman year and had was a co-first author in a publication in the first volume of our Undergrad Research journal
Currently I am working on my honors research thesis
and I'm heading to one of the famous UC's to do research over the summer
I am youth activities coordinator, a peer mentor and I will volunteer in the hospital this coming fall...
I will be battling with the MCAT next year but I'm studying for it this summer

so now my question...
even if i don't come from a famous school do you guys think I have some shot at an MD/PhD?
Do admissions care about which school you come from?

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms don't care what school you come from, only your research experience, MCAT, GPA, and letters of recommendation. Oh, and how you present yourself at interviews.

Good luck!

Doubting your chance merely because of your school's name means you still have a lot to learn about the admissions process and the program itself. A lot of useful answers and tips can be found in the sticky FAQ thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: Sounds like you are very close to having the whole package. Undergrad school might matter to some small extent (certain "famous" schools might be looked on favorably) but I wouldn't worry about it, especially with a great GPA like yours. Make sure you can get some really awesome letters from your research advisor(s), and do the very best you can on the MCAT, of course.

Good luck! :luck:

Looks like you're in great shape right now, you should be able to get interviews from some competitive med schools nationwide. :)

The MCAT is next, though, and it is a BIG deal...

Take note, if you plan to go to a public Cali med school, you will be one of 5000 applicants - don't hang all your hopes of staying instate... What you care about is getting into any med school, so make sure that you have all the requirements to apply to several med schools in several states.

thanks everyone.
I will study harder and work harder in my lab!:)

While school doesn't matter that much, I would add one qualifier: coming from a lesser known school, or a school that doesn't send many students to med school, makes the MCAT more important. Part of it has to do with prestige, and a much more important part has to do with the fact that ADCOMS get a sense of familiarity with schools: they know what a 3.8 from Michigan means, and what types of students get that GPA, whereas they may not have that familiarity with your school. The MCAT reassures them that a high GPA from an unknown school was well earned. But a GPA that high is impressive almost anywhere.