You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Can barely pronounce medical terms :l
Started by houseobsessed
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
da8s0859q
So yeah, you gotta memorize/learn but anyone find it especially harder if you can't even pronounce the damn chemical/disease haha?😕
You're in high school -- you're not supposed to sound like, um, Dr. House just yet. (What in the world are they having you do in high school?)
It gets better with usage. At some point in medical school, you start doing everything in abbreviations because you don't want to bother with real words. "Ms. Smith, our 69 year old Caucasian patient with recently-diagnosed systolic heart failure, was started on 25 milligrams of hydrochlorothiazide daily" becomes "Smith, 69 y/o wf w/ SHF -- HCTZ 25 mg po qd" on a notecard or scrap sheet of paper for a history you have to write or something.
I was just wondering......
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
da8s0859q
I was just wondering......
And I'm just saying -- it gets better with usage. Just like speaking a new language.
What are they having you learn in high school? I'm curious.
I have trouble sometimes and I'm in med school. Well, not too much trouble. Besides, its more important that you know the reactions/disease/whatever than to pronounce it correctly.
So yeah, you gotta memorize/learn but anyone find it especially harder if you can't even pronounce the damn chemical/disease haha?😕
Well I am currently taking physiology and myocardial isn't hard, I'm talking about the like 20 letter words. I'm waiting for acceptance letter to college, hopefully penn state, going to hershey then, majoring in humanitarianism.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Well if you post them I'm sure someone can give you the pronunciation, but there are websites that will pronounce them too. Merriam-Webster Online, for example.
I took A+P in high school.You're in high school -- you're not supposed to sound like, um, Dr. House just yet. (What in the world are they having you do in high school?)
It gets better with usage. At some point in medical school, you start doing everything in abbreviations because you don't want to bother with real words. "Ms. Smith, our 69 year old Caucasian patient with recently-diagnosed systolic heart failure, was started on 25 milligrams of hydrochlorothiazide daily" becomes "Smith, 69 y/o wf w/ SHF -- HCTZ 25 mg po qd" on a notecard or scrap sheet of paper for a history you have to write or something.
OP, you pick it up with practice, you hear other people say them and find that there are different ways to say the same words anyway. It is like another language, and the abbreviations are too, but God, do they save a lot of time.
It's more important that you don't misspell it.
I still struggle with medical terminology prounciation.
I hate sounding like an idiot on the phone when reporting back results.
I still struggle with medical terminology prounciation.

I hate sounding like an idiot on the phone when reporting back results.
It's more important that you don't misspell it.
I still struggle with medical terminology prounciation.
I hate sounding like an idiot on the phone when reporting back results.
Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginylisoleucine



Mutations in this gene are associated with familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy 9[14][7] and tibial muscular dystrophy.[15] Autoantibodies to titin are produced in patients with the autoimmune disease scleroderma.[16Mutations in this gene are associated with familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy 9[14][7] and tibial muscular dystrophy.[15] Autoantibodies to titin are produced in patients with the autoimmune disease scleroderma.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginylisoleucine
Mutations in this gene are associated with familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy 9[14][7] and tibial muscular dystrophy.[15] Autoantibodies to titin are produced in patients with the autoimmune disease scleroderma.[16Mutations in this gene are associated with familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy 9[14][7] and tibial muscular dystrophy.[15] Autoantibodies to titin are produced in patients with the autoimmune disease scleroderma.
People only use words like that for humor. It would be abbreviated at the very least, not that most physicians need to list out complex molecules and proteins...
Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginylisoleucine![]()
Met-Thr-Thr-Glu-Arg-Ile
That's much easier, isn't it? Nobody expects you to refer to a protein by its chemical name like that. You'll learn more about this in biochem at some point, but when we encounter a protein with any frequency it gets a much easier name, such as titin.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're in high school -- you're not supposed to sound like, um, Dr. House just yet. (What in the world are they having you do in high school?)
It gets better with usage. At some point in medical school, you start doing everything in abbreviations because you don't want to bother with real words. "Ms. Smith, our 69 year old Caucasian patient with recently-diagnosed systolic heart failure, was started on 25 milligrams of hydrochlorothiazide daily" becomes "Smith, 69 y/o wf w/ SHF -- HCTZ 25 mg po qd" on a notecard or scrap sheet of paper for a history you have to write or something.
You don't treat systolic heart failure with a thiazide.
Oh snap.
D
da8s0859q
You don't treat systolic heart failure with a thiazide.
Oh snap.
Not solo, but I could have sworn I've got class notes saying that thiazides / diuretics in general can be used in SHF. I imagine that loops are probably better. Am I mistaken?
stop being a little bitch. You're in high school you're not supposed to know how to pronounce it. No one's expecting you to be able to spit it out in a moments notice, if they do they're idiots. Once you enter med school you can start complaining but even then it's going to be part of your career so don't bitch too much about it. Plus there'll be plenty of tricks and acronyms made up by people who don't want to memorize long names already, so chill. If anything the most annoying things to memorize and say tend to be the drug names like bevacizumab, paclitaxel, bortezomib, sorafenib.
Such hatred in all of your threads 🙄
Such hatred in all of your threads 🙄
I just have a disdain for idiocy. And don't think I'm just doing this cause it's online, I'll call people out for being an idiot in real life too.
Not solo, but I could have sworn I've got class notes saying that thiazides / diuretics in general can be used in SHF. I imagine that loops are probably better. Am I mistaken?
Lasix is used, then add an ACE, then a Beta blocker.
D
da8s0859q
Lasix is used, then add an ACE, then a Beta blocker.
Right, had the ACE and BB, was just under the impression that thiazides are theoretically useful even if they're not preferred diuretics. But I don't know of any furosemide abbreviations that shave the name down to a fifth of its length. 🙂
While we're at it: my class has contradictory notes from two lectures on using a CCB here. One person says that CCBs are flat-out contraindicated like one would imagine -- why decrease contractility when systole is the problem already? -- and then there was another lecture in which they were mentioned as a possible, but not ideal, treatment. Is nifedipine or any other mostly peripherally-acting CCB ever used for this?
D
deleted205891
Right, had the ACE and BB, was just under the impression that thiazides are theoretically useful even if they're not preferred diuretics. But I don't know of any furosemide abbreviations that shave the name down to a fifth of its length. 🙂
While we're at it: my class has contradictory notes from two lectures on using a CCB here. One person says that CCBs are flat-out contraindicated like one would imagine -- why decrease contractility when systole is the problem already? -- and then there was another lecture in which they were mentioned as a possible, but not ideal, treatment. Is nifedipine or any other mostly peripherally-acting CCB ever used for this?
It says in my notes from last year that thiazides are only used as a combo with a loop if a loop isn't enough (diuretic resistance).
And about CCBs: if it's systolic dysfunction, you shouldn't use because of peripheral edema. For diastolic dysfunction (preserved EF) you do use them.
stop being a little bitch. You're in high school you're not supposed to know how to pronounce it. No one's expecting you to be able to spit it out in a moments notice, if they do they're idiots. Once you enter med school you can start complaining but even then it's going to be part of your career so don't bitch too much about it. Plus there'll be plenty of tricks and acronyms made up by people who don't want to memorize long names already, so chill. If anything the most annoying things to memorize and say tend to be the drug names like bevacizumab, paclitaxel, bortezomib, sorafenib.
Aaand, account on hold. Do me a favor, if you ever get your account back: let me know where and in what capacity you intend to practice so I can make sure I NEVER have to see you as a patient or work with you as a colleague.
Someone forgot to have their bowl of wheaties in the morning.
When I was in high school I took a class on medical terminology because I was interested in medicine (and it was a guaranteed A). I wouldn't suggest doing it. I didn't learn a single thing. Just wait until med school. Don't worry about any of this until your in medical school. Or at least until you're in college!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 2K