Can being a TA for too long be a bad thing?

Started by HCW212
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HCW212

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you were to be a TA for, say, 4+ semesters, and getting 3 credits for it each semester, would it look bad? The only reason I'm thinking that this'll look bad is because you'll be getting 12+ credits from the same 'course' title, and won't have, I guess, as much a variety of courses on your transcript. Just wondering.
 
minah86 said:
If you were to be a TA for, say, 4+ semesters, and getting 3 credits for it each semester, would it look bad? The only reason I'm thinking that this'll look bad is because you'll be getting 12+ credits from the same 'course' title, and won't have, I guess, as much a variety of courses on your transcript. Just wondering.
You just get class credit for being a TA? That seems new to me.
You should've negotiated for a better deal. I get paid! An Extremely low hourly wage for about 4 hrs a week but it's still something. This way I can also list it as an activity rather than a class!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ghostchild said:
You just get class credit for being a TA? That seems new to me.
You should've negotiated for a better deal. I get paid! An Extremely low hourly wage for about 4 hrs a week but it's still something. This way I can also list it as an activity rather than a class!


Ya I also get paid. Although I guess if it is like a science you can add it to your BCPM. Great BCPM grade booster!
 
I was an Organic TA for 5 semesters. No course credit, just a paycheck. It wasn't a very high hourly rate, but they paid me for about 2x the number of hours that I actually worked.
 
If you are an undergrad it doesn't really hurt, I'd rather think it would help (in some less obvious ways, too, like knowing professors really well for LORs). For graduate students it can look bad because being a GTA for too long generally means that your PI can't or won't fund you.