Can bupropion cause premature ejaculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nighthawk2551

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a patient today report that he has been on bupropion for about a year now and it worked well for his depression, but he believes it caused premature ejaculation. He says he had been on an SSRI which caused delayed ejaculation and decreased libido, and then when he transitioned to wellbutrin he started to experience premature ejaculation.

Has anyone else run into this side effect before? Knowing that bupropion is sometimes used to alleviate the sexual side effects of SSRIs it kind of makes sense it could cause premature ejaculation when used alone. However, I was only able to find one case report from Turkey making note of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't seen it reported, but any sympathometic agent can theoretically cause this. Remember point and shoot?

I want to make a crack that maybe he's just returned to baseline....

Premature ejaculation (defined as less than 2 min on a regular basis) is scary uncommon, like 20% of the population whatever proportion of the time? Numbers that stuck from med school, could be off. Takeaway is that it's quite common, and can also develop at any point in life.

It could be meds, or not. Probably only one way to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to make a crack that maybe he's just returned to baseline....

This is a credible hypothesis IMO!

Multiple studies have documented sexual function changes after switching from an SSRI to bupropion. Maybe look into this literature to find out if any reported adverse sexual side effects?

Reactions: 2 users