Can Dentist Have Medical Marijuana Card

Started by Husamalir
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Husamalir

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all. I'm a D1 student who currently has a MM card and I go to school where weed is legal. However, I was wondering if having a MM card affects my ability to get licensed in the future. Been searching the internet for a few days and don't really see anything.

Only worry would be getting my DEA number and I'm not sure if having a card would affect that. My card will expire before graduation. Thanks!
 
I would think not, however I queried the DEA and will post their reply when received.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What you should be more concerned about is whether you are practicing under the influence of some type of psychoactive substance. For example, a DUI doesn't pertain just to alcohol, it can also be other substances. Just because possession and consumption is legal in your state, you should really consider whether you are impaired during the practice of dentistry and its legal/ethical implications. IANAL, so go ask one just to make sure.
 
You might need to talk about that with your college administration to find out what they think about that. But I wouldn’t dare to have it because it’s still uncertain what the reaction will be, and it might also influence your future employment.
Weed is legal in Canada, and you might still get it in some other way if you really need it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all. I'm a D1 student who currently has a MM card and I go to school where weed is legal. However, I was wondering if having a MM card affects my ability to get licensed in the future. Been searching the internet for a few days and don't really see anything.

Only worry would be getting my DEA number and I'm not sure if having a card would affect that. My card will expire before graduation. Thanks!
Ditch the weed. In professional circles there is definitely a perception that marijuana breeds a culture of laziness. I do not think I would work with someone who smokes marijuana.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While I don't have specific information about how it may impact your ability to get a DEA number or become licensed, it's always a good idea to consult with your school and any relevant licensing boards to get more clarity on this topic.
I would not consult with your school.

No need to give them any information regarding your personal marijuana usage.

you can definitely just email the licensing boards if you really want to