Can DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CG37387n

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Get into Emergency Medicine?

I probably will never have the grades for MD, because my first 3 semesters have been complete ****. (I am no way in saying one is better than the other -- I am just not a 4.0 student)
I have also been contemplating nursing, but as a Male I don't want to be the go to for heavy lifting and all that.
I have been boggling between Nursing vs. Doctor for quite a while, and I have no idea what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. There are no DOs in EM.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not meaning this with any disrespect, and I have searched it..

BUT, what I am trying to ask, is it likely?

I know DOs can do any residency..

I probably will never have the grades for MD, because my first 3 semesters have been complete ****. (I am no way in saying one is better than the other -- I am just not a 4.0 student)
I have also been contemplating nursing, but as a Male I don't want to be the go to for heavy lifting and all that.
I have been boggling between Nursing vs. Doctor for quite a while, and I have no idea what to do.
EM is very D.O. friendly...

Reactions: 1 user

I do agree that Emergency Medicine is very DO friendly. Half of the physicians with whom I worked with in the ER were DOs including the ER director. I am also interested in EM and I believe that it is perfectly attainable as a DO.

I'm not meaning this with any disrespect, and I have searched it..

BUT, what I am trying to ask, is it likely?

I know DOs can do any residency..

You live in PA, right? There have been many EM matches from the two well-known DO schools in your state over the years. The match lists are somewhere in the osteo forum. EM has gotten more competitive, but it's still doable for the above average applicant with good board scores and rotation evals.

Seriously? Have you not read any of these forums?????? Enough already.

Reactions: 1 users

For the future, don't come off with that ridiculous attitude if you want genuine responses.

EM is attainable for DO students, ACGME or AOA.

For the future, don't come off with that ridiculous attitude if you want genuine responses.

EM is attainable for DO students, ACGME or AOA.
What attitude? I don't mean to come off as having an attitude..

And I replied later, which I should have just edited it.

The reason why I'm feeling like this because I feel like the only thing I want to do is EM, and I have so many people discouraging me.

In 2013, 233 DOs matched AOA emergency medicine, 178 matched Acgme emergency med, and 4 matched Acgme internal med/emergency med. There were 4913 DO grads that year, so about 8.5% of the class of 2013 went on to emergency medicine.

If you don't understand the difference between being a nurse vs a physician in a healthcare setting, I suggest you become a part time (if you are still in school) pca in a hospital and spend some time working directly with patients and alongside nurses and other pcas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I trust OP, that you recognize that by now, the poster was making a joke. Sarcasm doesn't display well on the Internet.

It seems like you still need to figure out what you want to do.

Therefore, start doing some clinician shadowing, and patient contact volunteer work.

My school sends a good number of grads into EM every year.

Is it because it is competitive? Can you elaborate more?

Look at this website.. tmfhs.org look under find a physician. Then look under specialty and find Emergency medicine..you will see two D.O.'s there.

Basically to answer the OPs question: yes. Work hard. Get good board scores. Do well in your rotations. See previous comments on the many "can a DO match (insert specialty here)" threads.

The DO orthopedic surgeon who lectured at my school yesterday told us EM was way out of reach for DOs.

The DO orthopedic surgeon who lectured at my school yesterday told us EM was way out of reach for DOs.
I'm not sure what he was talking about. The EM program at my hospital takes DOs for up to a third of its residents. Last year two chief residents were from DO schools.

Most top DO schools have about 5 to 10% of the graduating class go into EM residencies.

Lol i think you guys missed the joke.

Today, the Canadian billionaire at my business conference told me that Canadians can't be millionaires.