Can EMD's do FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benyjets23

Adventuring MD Wannabe
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have my AZ license (18 Wheeler), without needing to get anything else, this qualifies me for city bus, charter bus, dump truck and ambulance driver.

Does the same thing occur in the relationship between EM and FM? Can an ER doctor do Family Medicine practice?

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

benyjets23 said:
Hey,

I have my AZ license (18 Wheeler), without needing to get anything else, this qualifies me for city bus, charter bus, dump truck and ambulance driver.

Does the same thing occur in the relationship between EM and FM? Can an ER doctor do Family Medicine practice?

Ben

Why would you want to?

I guess there is nothing that prevents you as a licensed physician from opening up a general medicine clinic. I don't think you could call yourself a family physician without board certification. Still, you could call it "Urgent Care" or something like that.

Hey,

The reason why the Idea of having the potential to do FM appeals to me, is that I am 27 and I am only in the beginning phases of my BSN and I am just chewing over if I want the option of a Medical career. This means that I will probably be in my mid 40's should I decide and should every thing go right when I will finally be finished with residency and have the chance to become a full doctor. That means I am a late starter. HENCE:

I would like to be able to work to 70, or even the early 70s - mid 70s . I am not sure if the ER is conducive to retiring late. If it is not I would like the possibility of retiring to a practice that puts less physical strain on the person.

Ben

Members don't see this ad :)
Can an ER doctor do Family Medicine practice?

Can an EM physician do primary care ? Yes.

'family practice' in the sense of advertising this on your shingle: No.

There are EM trained physicians who opened a primary care practice once they didn't care to work shifts anymore. I know one guy who does nothing but 'weight loss management' within a multispecialty group these days.

There are only few things you need the formal qualification of family practice board certification for. Mainly OB related stuff. If you don't want to deliver babies, depending on the community you are in, you should be able to get admitting priviledges at a hospital (or even better, find a hospital with a hospitalist service so you don't need to cover your own inpatients).

In the end, you are a 'physician and surgeon' and your scope of practice is what you make out of it. There might be only limited opportunities to be employed outside of your area of training, if you develop your own practice you can do what you want, particularly if you decide to go a bit outside of the competitive urban/suburban environments.

The only two factors that limit your scope of practice as a physician are:

- malpractice insurance: If you can't convince your insurer that you are qualified for the service you want to provide, they won't insure you (and you would be a fool to offer this service/procedure anyway).

- hospital priviledges: In order to be on the 'panel' for many commercial insurers as a PCP you either need to be on the medical staff of a hospital and hold admitting priviledges, or you need to have a formal agreement with someone who does. Depending on the community you are in, they might not let you on staff in anything but your specialty of residency.

benyjets23 said:
Hey,

Ben

From most most of the states' perspectives, you are granted a license for medicine and surgery. End of story. In theory, you could go practice anywhere in that state that will hire you.

In reality, jobs are limited by supply and demand. ie, in an inner city busy trauma center, they may refuse to hire anything but board certified/residency trained EM docs. Also, in an suburban environment, they may not hire anything but board certified/residency trained FM docs. If you go out in the middle of nowhere, where areas are desperate, you may be able to go a job in a small ED as an FP doc or in a generalist clinic as an EM doc. However, I would not bank your future on this.

A more realistic approach would be to soul search about the specialty your most interested in, including the likelihood of "burnout" in EM, and go for that specialty.

It sounds like the first question you're going to have answer is: do I want to go to medical school?

mike