Can gap year be over yet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SharkBaitOooAha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else going insane waiting for school to begin? I for one am ready to be done with my annoying job and move out of my parents house. What is everyone else doing to pass the time?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else going insane waiting for school to begin? I for one am ready to be done with my annoying job and move out of my parents house. What is everyone else doing to pass the time?
I know what you mean. I was accepted to my first school in July and was done interviewing completely a couple of months later. I graduated in 2012.

I've been doing a lot of reading, video game playing, and working some. To be honest, I'm getting restless though. I have been for months. I know people say to cherish this free time, but frankly I'm completely bored most of the time.

I know what you mean. I was accepted to my first school in July and was done interviewing completely a couple of months later. I graduated in 2012.

I've been doing a lot of reading, video game playing, and working some. To be honest, I'm getting restless though. I have been for months. I know people say to cherish this free time, but frankly I'm completely bored most of the time.

2012 here too. Worked the next academic year up at school and lived with students so that was fun. This academic year I'm back with the parentals... Ugh. Even though I could move out, what's the point?

Looking forward to moving and starting, but at the same time, trying to enjoy the last bit of freedom ... Haha.

@OP question: I'm trying to reconnect/continually hangout with my good friends around home. Can't really travel like crazy but trying to get around and do some stuff with friends and enjoy my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I'm pretty much in the same situation as the 2 posters above. Graduated 2012 and am living at home working a job that I really despise. The only thing that gets me through each day of work is knowing that I could really quit anytime I want. Just trying to hold out until June/July though to save up as much as possible. I do have a couple trips planned though :)

Haha, I'm pretty much in the same situation as the 2 posters above. Graduated 2012 and am living at home working a job that I really despise. The only thing that gets me through each day of work is knowing that I could really quit anytime I want. Just trying to hold out until June/July though to save up as much as possible. I do have a couple trips planned though :)

I graduated in 2012 also. I want to save up as much money as possible before school but at the same time my job is soul-sucking. My boss "doesn't believe in western medicine" and when I told him I would be leaving my position to pursue medical school he told me "western medicine is corrupted and you're joining the mob and will be judged for your actions in the next life" Da fuq?:eek: Going part time or completely quitting after that nice comment.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated in 2012 also. I want to save up as much money as possible before school but at the same time my job is soul-sucking. My boss "doesn't believe in western medicine" and when I told him I would be leaving my position to pursue medical school he told me "western medicine is corrupted and you're joining the mob and will be judged for your actions in the next life" Da fuq?:eek: Going part time or completely quitting after that nice comment.
Haha that cracked me up. I'm in the same boat as you guys, graduated in December 2012 and now just working until school starts. I moved out though so I could be on my own and have more independence

Last edited:
I love this free time right now. I graduate in 2008 and live with my SO. I worked a job I didn't enjoy the last five years which got shut down, so I am just enjoying my severance money now. Cycling a ton, on a new racing team, traveling, looking forward to backpacking, trail running, weekend getaways, visiting my family, then an Italy and Switzerland trip in May. I plan to cherish this free time doing the things I love before I am consumed with studies. Although, I do get a little bored at times, ha!

What the................ You should probably quit right now.

I'm in the same boat as you guys! Graduated in 2012, been working in the medical field but is also a "soul-sucking" job which entails the most boring work and longest days ever. Can't wait to start school. I've been trying to spend as much time with my family and the friends that matter. PlayStation and Netflix help. I have a few trips planned, but I too would also like to save as much money as possible. I'm not sure if you guys are into sports, but the Winter Olympics are coming up, as well as the World Cup which I'm stoked for. Reading should help too, especially considering how deep our noses will be in the books soon. I recommend House of God, if you haven't read it already.

Good luck keeping your mind occupied! Enjoy the free time, I'm sure we'll be missing these times in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
I used my gap (2) years to go to grad school. At first, I was really restless and almost miserable. I play lots of video games, learned my new city, and picked up my violin again. I have used this year to make myself happy and ensure a better future with my degree.

I had 2 gap years as well...Class of 2012 representttt. Most of my other pre-med friends only took a year off. Rarely did anyone from my class go on to med school straight after college.

I used one year to cram my MS in biology. I worked a part-time job as a sales associate, and I remember getting frustrated when customers would mess up the piles of sweaters and jeans I so nicely folded 2 seconds ago.
"Excuse me, do you have this is a size large?"
"No, sorry...whatever sizes we have out is what we have"
"Could you check in the back?"
Me: :bang:

This year I'm working full-time in a lab with good pay, but seriously I'm over it. I can't wait to be in the Miami region.
Fortunately I live 30min outside of NYC, so when I'm not working I'm just chillin in Hells Kitchen, Chelsea and West Village...so I'm not too bored. But I honestly feel dumber now that I'm not in school this year. I find myself losing grammar and mathematical skills, and even basic science facts. It's shameful, but hopefully my brain will wake up when classes start ;)

Last edited:
I had 2 gap years as well. I used one year to cram my MS in biology. This year I'm working, but seriously I'm over it. I can't wait to be in the Miami region.
Fortunately I live 30min outside of NYC, so when I'm not working I'm just chillin in Hells Kitchen, Chelsea and West Village...so I'm not too bored. But I honestly feel dumber now that I'm not in school this year. I find myself losing grammar and mathematical skills, and even basic science facts. It's shameful, but hopefully my brain will wake up when classes start ;)

I can seriously feel the science knowledge slipping away with each day that passes and I'm not in school. Doesn't help when your job isn't intellectually stimulating either. Hopefully I still remember stuff when school gets here.:xf:

I had 2 gap years as well...Class of 2012 representttt. Most of my other pre-med friends only took a year off. Rarely did anyone from my class go on to med school straight after college.

It seems that taking 1 to 2 year gap before med school is rather the norm nowadays.

Anyone feel like you're winning the championship game in a blowout and the rest of your gap year is just "garbage time"?

I literally bust out laughing on my desk at work. Yeah I feel like my gap year is just "garbage time" working a dead-end, boring job.

Members don't see this ad :)
2012 here too. Worked the next academic year up at school and lived with students so that was fun. This academic year I'm back with the parentals... Ugh. Even though I could move out, what's the point?

Looking forward to moving and starting, but at the same time, trying to enjoy the last bit of freedom ... Haha.

@OP question: I'm trying to reconnect/continually hangout with my good friends around home. Can't really travel like crazy but trying to get around and do some stuff with friends and enjoy my time.
2012 here too and also living at home with parents. Free food, free rental, free electricity and water, etc.. I can't complain about this.

Fill your days with working and new hobbies!

I'm working full time, volunteering, and learning piano and French. Pick up something new.

I do agree that I can't wait to get back in school. I miss the academic environment. A lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yeah....I am so over this down time....I have crocheted about 10 scarves since I got accepted in November....ack! I truly cannot watch any more tv and I am also feeling like everything I know is just leaving my brain like the exodus of Egypt.....sigh.
My job is soooo boring and gives me zero challenge. I just want it to be end of July so I can move and actually be doing something!!!

I am very much enjoying this gap year! Sure I can't wait for the school to start up again, but at the same time I will miss the free nights getting home from work and not having to worry about what I should study for next. There might be a bit of rehab needed a month prior to school starting haha.

I'd want it to be over ASAP too but I'm still figuring where I'm going. One more ii in feb

I'd want it to be over ASAP too but I'm still figuring where I'm going. One more ii in feb

I can't wait till March comes...that's when I'll know for sure which school I'll be attending...this whole process was so stressing..

Class of 2011 here so I got one more year of twiddling my thumbs more than some of you haha. Honestly, I really enjoy my job in the hospital but have been doing it for five years now and am looking forward to challenging my brain again. Definitely been getting antsy. I would like to go on one more big trip with friends but its kind of a conflict with my plan to save as much possible for my from from Colorado to Florida so we'll see how that goes. Really trying to hang out with family and friends as much as possible before I get drowned by books. Living at home with the parentals but still paying rent and such.

We just had a thread about this on my school's Facebook page this morning.

I've been done with school since 2011. So friggin ready to get back in it. I've been trying to plan a hiking trip for April.

It seems that taking 1 to 2 year gap before med school is rather the norm nowadays.
It definitely has been from where I live. Most people who are "weaker" applicants take a year off. If they don't get in during that year, most of my family friends have attended SMPs and reapplied.

Yeah....I am so over this down time....I have crocheted about 10 scarves since I got accepted in November....ack! I truly cannot watch any more tv and I am also feeling like everything I know is just leaving my brain like the exodus of Egypt.....sigh.
My job is soooo boring and gives me zero challenge. I just want it to be end of July so I can move and actually be doing something!!!
You sound like my friend who got into a MD around November. He's been pretty much bored out of his mind since. Has a part-time job in a lab but he has a lot of free time. I hope during my gap year I could find something more productive to improve my application. My friend already had a strong application but a pretty low GPA balanced out by an outstanding MCAT.

Fill your days with working and new hobbies!

I'm working full time, volunteering, and learning piano and French. Pick up something new.

I do agree that I can't wait to get back in school. I miss the academic environment. A lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think everyone feels like that eventually. Sitting idly around can get boring.

I am on the "find new hobbies" phase of this gap year. The long commute to work doesn't help my spirits :(
Hoping to still
- Pick up rock climbing
- Improve my Spanish
- Try toastmasters
- Go on a trip to California with best friends from college (How's the weather in California in June?)

I am on the "find new hobbies" phase of this gap year. The long commute to work doesn't help my spirits :(
Hoping to still
- Pick up rock climbing
- Improve my Spanish
- Try toastmasters
- Go on a trip to California with best friends from college (How's the weather in California in June?)
Amazing. I used to go in August occasionally years ago. I used to be up in North California though near the hilly areas within 50 miles of San Francisco or in San Francisco itself.

Haha, I share the same sentiment. Free time shmee time, I want to start school now.

I am going stir crazy during this gap year. I graduated in May 2013 and was accepted to my first school in late October. I work in a research lab and I am trying to make the most of it. I am going hard in the paint to try and get another pub before I leave. Might as well...I have nothing else to do.

Is anybody else nervous about starting? I mean, it will be work, work, work from this point on until retirement.

Is anybody else nervous about starting? I mean, it will be work, work, work from this point on until retirement.

Yeah I've been having dreams lately of failing out. But if medicine is truly what you love, you'll want to do the work.
I'm scared of not getting my first choice match. I have MD friends who didn't get their choice in residencies, so they had to settle for FM or IM. I don't want that to happen to me (my dream is either anethesiology, EM or oncology). So I'm going to study as much as I can and just hope it all works out.

I'm also scared of essentially "wasting" my youth. I have friends that only know how to go to the gym, go clubbing and shopping.
So being in medical school is a sacrifice...which I'm glad I'm doing (don't get me wrong)...but I can't help but oneday look on instagram and see everyone having fun in their 20s while I'm in the library in sweatpants and my hair hasn't been washed in days lol

@Chillywilly becoming a doctor isn't wasting your 20's.... clubbing and shopping is wasting your 20's. How old are you btw? From that other thread you seem to be very young and very worried abut what your mom thinks.

@Chillywilly becoming a doctor isn't wasting your 20's.... clubbing and shopping is wasting your 20's. How old are you btw? From that other thread you seem to be very young and very worried abut what your mom thinks.

I'm honestly going to stop posting, because it seems people misunderstand the things I say. Might be my fault for not writing in clear English. English is my second language.

Ughh, I regret ever posting that thread. It wasn't meant to be taken that seriously. It was just a topic I created because I was bored at work. And yes, I care about what my parents think..that's the middle eastern, Indian, and Asian culture.

Yeah I've been having dreams lately of failing out. But if medicine is truly what you love, you'll want to do the work.
I'm scared of not getting my first choice match. I have MD friends who didn't get their choice in residencies, so they had to settle for FM or IM. I don't want that to happen to me (my dream is either anethesiology, EM or oncology). So I'm going to study as much as I can and just hope it all works out.

I wouldn't waste your time worrying about matching. That is so far in the future it's crazy. You haven't even started medical school. Relax. Everything is going to work out.

I find myself worrying about all kinds of things as well. Mostly things I can't control. Which is ironic, because worrying about them wont do me any good. I feel your pain though. I sometimes worry about failing out, not matching into the program I want or in the location I want. I've even had the crazy thought of finishing residency and then experiencing some kind of traumatic event that would prevent me from ever practicing. It's silly to be worried about these things but it's normal. As cliche as it is, all you can do is do your best. Try not to spend time thinking about things you can't control, and focus on the things you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users