Can general dentists place braces

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RootCanal

I
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from Invisalign, can general dentists take clinical courses and start placing traditional braces on patients? I want some but not invisalign and i think this is a great question anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

There are many, many continuing ed courses about placing braces, including some "mini residencies" that for a fee over a few weekends will get you up and running. Just remember though, your results if you choose to go this route and a lawsuit comes up against you will be judged against what a board certified orthodontist that's received years of training gets:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many, many continuing ed courses about placing braces, including some "mini residencies" that for a fee over a few weekends will get you up and running. Just remember though, your results if you choose to go this route and a lawsuit comes up against you will be judged against what a board certified orthodontist that's received years of training gets:eek:

In an endo case you will be judged against a Board Certified Endodontist.
In a perio case you will be judged against a Board Certified Periodontist
In an oral surgery case you will be judged against a Board Certified OMS.
In an pedo case you will be judged against a Board Certified Pediatric Dentist.
In a C & B case you will be judged against a Board Certified Prosthodontist.
In a case of amalgams and composites you will be judged against your gp peers.
In a prophy case will you be judged against a registered D.H. (?)

Aside from Invisalign, can general dentists take clinical courses and start placing traditional braces on patients? I want some but not invisalign and i think this is a great question anyway.
According to a recent survey... One in four dentists reports that they treat most braces patients themselves. On the other hand, one in three refers out all orthodontic patients. It also depends on the communities you practice in, rural dentists do more ortho than urban dentists.

My favorite quote from a dentist who participated in this survey: "Send out the 'turkeys' and problem patients." (West Virginia dentist referring less than 20%)

http://thewealthydentist.com/SurveyResults/39_OrthodonticReferrals_Results.htm