Can Grades be a C-?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ausmil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an overall GPA of a 3.5 and a science GPA of a 3.2. My question is that I got a C- in my second Ochem class. I hate that class and do not want to redo it if possible. Do any schools have REQUIREMENTS that I retake that in order to get in? I love D.O. schools. I am very competitive in extracurricular stuff and experience. I also have a 21 MCAT. So I have a chance? Can anyone help me with these two question. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there are several schools that require a C or better. Check with the individual schools that you are interested in. Your MCAT is on the low side. It is not totally impossible, but that depends on a lot of factors.:luck:

Does anyone happen to know what schools those are?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an overall GPA of a 3.5 and a science GPA of a 3.2. My question is that I got a C- in my second Ochem class. I hate that class and do not want to redo it if possible. Do any schools have REQUIREMENTS that I retake that in order to get in? I love D.O. schools. I am very competitive in extracurricular stuff and experience. I also have a 21 MCAT. So I have a chance? Can anyone help me with these two question. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Why limit yourself from any school? Retake it and do well in it. Don't knock schools off your list because you "don't want to take it." In that case, why do you even want to apply at all? With your 21 MCAT, you'll want to take more than orgo over. Look at the schools that have published profiles and see where you match. If you don't match with many, you have two options: don't pursue medicine or retake orgo.

Does anyone happen to know what schools those are?

WVSOM and NYCOM are definitely two of them. I am pretty sure that LECOM is as well and I know that there are others. :luck:

I can't think of any DO schools that aren't going to expect you do retake that C-. Sorry :(

Your dubious chances just got worse. Retake that pathetic MCAT or go Caribe.

It is weird that all you are telling me this when there are a bunch of people telling me otherwise. My advisor is a recent MD and says not to waste time to retake it. He told me that from my university there were over 20 people that got in last year with C-'s in prereq classes. Is this all coming from your own opinion?

It is weird that all you are telling me this when there are a bunch of people telling me otherwise. My advisor is a recent MD and says not to waste time to retake it. He told me that from my university there were over 20 people that got in last year with C-'s in prereq classes. Is this all coming from your own opinion?

The C- isn't my concern. Retake the MCAT newbie.

I'm sure there are people who got in with C-, but that's only 20 out of how many that applied from your school?? Plus, did he also mention what their average MCAT was? If they got in I'd bet it was a good bit more than 21. You need to ask the individual schools about the C-, but even if you had a 3.8 GPA I'd still be concerned about your 21 MCAT.

No, it is coming from my personal experience. I have a C- in physics 2 and a B in the lab. I interviewed at NYCOM, but they told me if I was accepted that I would have to retake it. I was rejected at LECOM due to that and the fact that I had not taken organic chemistry yet. I got a letter stating that from LECOM. I was accepted at DCOM and PCSOM and withdrew from my other schools. I also know that it is a requirement to have a C or better at WVSOM because it says it right on their site.

So, can you get an acceptance with a C-? Yes. Is it somewhere you want to go? Don't know. You are going to cut out about half of the schools that you are eligble to attend because of that one class. But, that is your call. My MCAT was only a 23Q (10 VR, 6PS, 7BS), but as Dr. I so lovingly likes to point out, I am in a much different situation than most applicants. So, if you want to gamble the money and apply, then go ahead. But, know that you are automatically limiting yourself to a reduced number of possible schools because of that one grade. MD is not even an option for you. Sorry I can't be more optimistic, but I am just trying to express the reality of the situation based on my own personal experiences. Best of luck to you!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

This is coming from my own opinion. Your advisor more than likely got an A or B in orgo and probably atleast a 29 or 30 on his MCATs to be where he is at right now. Think of it this way... There are tens of thousands of medical school applicants right now that are fighting tooth and nail to get into where they want to. You on the other hand are basically saying, "I'll go wherever, it doesn't matter, I don't care." Those that have gone through the process are probably angry at you right now for taking it so lightly. Retake the class so that you can get into a wider variety of schools. Do not limit yourself by one class that you have control over when others like myself are fighting the uphill climb to get where we want to be. It is your perogative, but if you follow this path you're just wasting your time and possible potential "to be all that you can be." You are still young (we all are). What is one summer session going or extra class during an UG career going to hurt you? You may have to apply a year later, but that is better than applying and not getting accepted. AACOM is telling you that they will take the better grade and forget the other one. Why not take the opportunity and run?

c is not so important, but mcat has to be alot higher to have a chance. maybe take some easy classes to boost that gpa as well

Hey, Ausmil! I'm in a similar situation. I got a C- in OChem2 also. My pre-med advisor also told me not to re-take any classes, but I guess she didn't notice the C- or maybe didn't realize the C cut-off for some schools. I'm going to re-take OChem2 this summer. It's no way I want to spend my summer, but I don't want to give up my shot at some schools (especially WVSOM's program). Good luck!! :)

I really thank all of you for your input and suggestions. I am just taking them all in. By the way, I am at a small university so to answer one question, there were only 32 that applied form my university. So 20 with C's is not bad odd, yet it sucks that that many had C's :) Also, the MD that is my adviser received a 23 on his MCAT and C both Ochems. It helped that he still had a great GPA. He went to Wright State. Anyway, I have still seen some opposing comments, so I hope this keeps going. Some people seem to be very optimistic and helpful and others are just into themselves and their "hard work". Hey all of us have worked hard and just might not be good in some subjects.

I really thank all of you for your input and suggestions. I am just taking them all in. By the way, I am at a small university so to answer one question, there were only 32 that applied form my university. So 20 with C's is not bad odd, yet it sucks that that many had C's :) Also, the MD that is my adviser received a 23 on his MCAT and C both Ochems. It helped that he still had a great GPA. He went to Wright State. Anyway, I have still seen some opposing comments, so I hope this keeps going. Some people seem to be very optimistic and helpful and others are just into themselves and their "hard work". Hey all of us have worked hard and just might not be good in some subjects.

You had the course once, there is no reason you cannot retake it and do better. Material the second time around is always easier. Do you know how many MD applicants wish they could retake a course in order to have the grade replaced? I know its unfair playing the allopathic card but it is the principle. Everyone has seen organic for the same amount of time so everyone has an equal chance. You have a greater chance to do better, use it. Why are you supporting yourself in your action of shooting yourself in the foot anyway?

I am not trying to shoot myself in the foot.....I just hated Ochem with all my heart and if I can do it without a retake, I would take it. I apologize, I am not trying to start a fight. I just wanted some opinions and experiences of maybe those who have made it and those who have not.

I applied to 10 DO schools, and only one would accept a C- in a prereq. Yes, people who have C-'s go to medical school, but those a are in non-prereq courses. No, a C- doesn't mean they're going to throw your app out the window. Trust me. I had a C- in Orgo II and all my acceptances were conditional until I re-took it.

For those of you who have to retake: UNECOM offers an online Orgo course, test are open book/notes and DO will accept the course.
http://distance.une.edu/

That is great to know. Thanks for the encouragement!

Just an FYI, I was accepted with a C- on my record (no retakes on it), though I've taken extra sciences above and beyond the pre-reqs so even though I had a C- in a pre-req course, I had additional hours of Bio classes to make up for that if they only counted 8 hours of ANY bio classes and not that specific course that I had the C- in.......that make any sense.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, there is hope. My academic past is a little convoluted, but I had some retakes that I did well in and did really well on my MCAT.

I know that KCUMB requires a C or better for the pre-req... A C- doesn't count so retake it and try to boost your grade a little bit.

Well, Ausmil, you've already had some great comments and suggestions here, but, I'll add mine to the mix. If you have the time, I'd recommend retaking the class. Receiving a "C-" grade in a prerequisite isn't the end of the world, but it will limit your options; that's not something you want when you apply. You want to have as many options as possible. There are some schools that require a C, or higher, for their prerequisites. Applying to medical school is partially a numbers game. You want to play that game smartly.

Your overall UGPA is decent, so no worries there. Your science GPA is a little low, but again, it isn't a huge concern; if you raise it a little, you can increase your options. Your MCAT score, however, is pretty low, and it will likely limit your options and diminish your chances significantly. I'd recommend retaking your MCAT and aiming in the range of the mid- to upper- 20's. Take lots of practice tests and if you are averaging better, retake it. There's no rush to go to medical school. Take your time to prepare and apply when you are at your strongest. As I've heard it said before, it's a marathon, not a sprint to the finish line.

Medical school is a huge investment, you want to do everything you can to optimize your chances and your options. But, I guess, it all depends on what you want. I wanted to attend the best program available to me that my gut told me I would be happy attending. I had options and I made the best choice. The success that I had in this process can be partially attributed to pure luck, certainly, but the other part was definitely related to hard work and determination. I didn't do everything perfectly. In fact, I was pretty far from it, but at the end, I received much more than I had in mind. I think my efforts, directly or indirectly, opened up doors for me that I didn't even know were there. I recommend doing what you can to make things favorable for you, because, in my opinion, it's always better to have choices and not have anybody force your hand, especially because of one stupid class or a few points on an MCAT score. That's my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Let me clarify a few things. I attended the same small university as Ausmil. In fact, I am one of the supposed 32. First of all, I know nearly every applicant, and I highly doubt that 20 of the 32 have C's. Atleast not those of us who have actually been accepted to medical school. If I am mistaken, and there are some students at the university who have been accepted with C's, then they have C's but have retaken the class and received a higher grade. As for our MD adviser, he is a great, really intelligent, and wants the students to do well. However, he did not graduate from Wright State. He is a Carribean graduate (not that this makes him any less of an MD). As for the students at our university. There are many great students. Many of us have been accepted to schools such as Medical College of Wisconsin, SLU, Ohio State, University of Utah, University of Vermont, Medical College of Ohio, Texas A&M, and many DO schools such as AZCOM, DMU, Western U, OSUCOM, and on and on....... Ausmil, stop blowing smoke, put the time in and retake the classes/MCAT. If you do these things, you have a chance of getting into medical school. Good Luck!!!!!!

I know that KCUMB requires a C or better for the pre-req... A C- doesn't count so retake it and try to boost your grade a little bit.

I assume if my University excludes +/- in the grading, that a C- would be indistinguishable from a C+ ??? Just curious.