can hyperthyroidism lead to diabetes mellitus, fatty liver and ketonuria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylhet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
we know that thyroid hormones can increase glucose absorption from gut, increase glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis in liver. they can also cause lipolysis and release of free fatty acid.

So can hyperthyroidism lead to diabetes mellitus, fatty liver and ketonuria? kindly explain.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone else can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but here's how I'm thinking about this:

In an otherwise normal individual, increased blood glucose levels will stimulate release of insulin (and the insulin will work in this individual as it is supposed to, since we are presuming this person doesn't have type 2 diabetes/insulin insensitivity to begin with). Insulin will trigger glucose uptake and will also suppress lipolysis, gluconeogenesis, etc. To me, it seems like all the hyperthyroid state is doing is wasting your ATP (e.g. causing your body to work harder to keep blood glucose in check via production of insulin, shutting off the unnecessary lipolysis/gluconeogenesis pathways, etc.) If the body wasn't hyperthyroid, it wouldn't have to work to constantly shut down the futile energy wasting pathways caused by excess thyroid hormone.

we know that thyroid hormones can increase glucose absorption from gut, increase glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis in liver. they can also cause lipolysis and release of free fatty acid.

So can hyperthyroidism lead to diabetes mellitus, fatty liver and ketonuria? kindly explain.

Isolated in a vacuum, maybe. Glucose metabolism really should be "Insulin" and "Everything Else" so, in the absence of other hormones, any hormone can cause glucose disturbances.

In reality, the overwhelming effect of hyperthyroidism is catabolism and energy consumption, not diabetes.

Without directly answering your question:

Hyperthyroidism causes diarrhea, I don't know where you got increased absorption?

Hyperthyroidism causes hypocholesterolemia

I can see where you're coming from with the increase in glucose, but I think all that glucose is getting eaten up? So I could imagine the pancreas working a lot but it could be super sensitive since there are an increase in Beta receptors.

(There is an increase in na/k atpase which uses atp--- increase in basal metabolic rate)

Remember people with Graves are usually thin, and complain of weight loss despite an increased appetite?

Cushings does cause diabetes mellitus...