Can I Apply Before August MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brokensaint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in April 04 and i got a 26P (8VR, 9PS, 9BS). I know I can do better and am already signed up for the August MCAT. On the AMCAS MD applications, we can submit them now, and indicate if we are taking the August MCAT (this makes it so we dont have to wait until our August scores come back to apply).

Is the AACOMAS like that as well? Can I send it out now, and take an MCAT later?

Is my MCAT score bad? I have a low gpa of 3.18 (2.3 freshman and soph year, 3.75 junior and senior year), i have heavy research experience with a nationally recognized neuroscience lab, volunteer work in the operating room, good extracurriculars, and letter of recs from physiology professors, an MD, and a DO. What kind of shape am I in?

Members don't see this ad.

You will see that some DO schools have minimum GPA scores around 2.75 - but I've never heard of anyone getting in with those scores, and your score is also low. However, DO schools look at more than that one score. Your MCAT score is above the national average so that could compensate for the low gpa, and your experiences sound great. I think you have a good shot at getting an interview.

A 26P is relatively good score considering the mean for matriculating students is between a 24-27. It is also obvious that brokensaint didn't realize where his/her life was headed prior to Junior year. 3.75's junior and senior definitely show motivation, and that "upward trend". I agree, I think you have very good chances at getting interviews.

Thanks for the reply, but what about applying now and still taking the MCAT in august? I have to anyways because I want to apply to MD schools and a 26P is still too low.