Can I ask some medical advice / questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dijibooti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I was looking for a vet forum to post some dog health questions and this came up at the top of google.

Mind if I ask some medical questions?

We have a 13 year old jack Russell terrier. A few days ago she started throwing up within minutes whenever she ate. Other than that, no symptoms. She had pancreatitis and swallowed a rock in 2 different situations when she was much younger so we thought it was one of those. Our new vet xrayed and didn't see an obstruction. She was in the hospital for a couple days. Picked her up and she would pant, not sleep, kept walking around only clockwise, tremors, would stare at the wall, back legs twitching and then she falls over, picks herself up and keeps walking, etc. Doctor feels it's a brain tumor. She was 100% herself a little more than a week ago, now she's back at the hospital, barking at the corners, doesn't recognize us, etc. The doctor is trying a steroid to slow / shrink the (assumed) tumor. We really feel the lights are on but no one is home.

Anyway, some questions:
1) can a brain tumor cause such a dramatic change so quickly? I guess if it presses on the right spot, things can happen quick? And was the cause of the vomiting? Or that weakened her to allow the tumor to grow quicker recently?
2) are we wrong to not consider treatment, considering her age (and yes, cost)
3) she's still alive, so I feel bad asking this now, but do vet schools accept cadaver dogs?
4) would a vet school accept a cadaver dog to perform a necropsy for no cost to us and learning opportunity for the students?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure a mod will come in in just a few minutes, but I'm afraid SDN is not the right place to ask for medical advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.