Can I be successful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmco

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
High GPA and Low PCAT!!! Just wondering if I could get in a school, which isn't going to happen this year, being a VERY hard worker even though I did poorly on the PCAT (3 times) do you think I could still make it through? I'm not kidding I am a dedicated student and have made great grades I just really do poor on standardized tests. I'm consider myself average as far as intelligence goes. Anyone like me that got in and did well? Worked as a tech for 3 years and really love it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure you can be successful. I never took the PCAT myself. I only applied to schools that did not require it. As long as the rest of your application stands out you should be good! Apply early!!!!!

High GPA and Low PCAT!!! Just wondering if I could get in a school, which isn't going to happen this year, being a VERY hard worker even though I did poorly on the PCAT (3 times) do you think I could still make it through? I'm not kidding I am a dedicated student and have made great grades I just really do poor on standardized tests. I'm consider myself average as far as intelligence goes. Anyone like me that got in and did well? Worked as a tech for 3 years and really love it.

what is your definition of a high gpa and low pcat score? Care to list it? Have you tried to apply to any pharmd programs. You might want to consider the west coast schools, since most don't require pcat scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying to schools that don't require the PCAT, then :thumbup:. BUT, you need to ask yourself why you did poorly on the PCAT. Since your GPA is high, I'm assuming you're a smart cookie and should do well in school, but theres a lot of testing in pharm school, so if you are a poor test taker then it will be that much more difficult. I know one girl who is suuuuuper smart but such a bad test taker its not even funny. She had like a 3.9 GPA and managed to get in the 50s? I think on the PCAT. She still got accepted so there is hope! (and her school required PCAT scores!)

Just wondering, if by your admission you do poorly on standardized tests, what's going to happen when you have to take the NAPLEX?

Just wondering, if by your admission you do poorly on standardized tests, what's going to happen when you have to take the NAPLEX?
This is something to think about...
Pharmacy students spend four years "preparing" for the Naplex. Ninety-five percent of my exams are multiple choice (specifically K-type).

As a pre-pharm student, you may never prepare for the PCAT in the classroom. Sure, professors will teach the material, but if the student's school does not incorporate techniques that need to be utilized in the PCAT (multiple choice questions, specific knowledge vs general knowledge), s/he could do poorly.
Also, if it's been a while since someone took their pre-reqs, their test scores will probably be lower.

I wouldn't worry too much about it! If you have a high GPA, with 3 years of tech experience and perhaps some other extracurricular activities, you should have a pretty good shot. If you want to go to a school that requires the PCAT, I would talk to the Dean of Admissions and get their advice and perspective on things. They would be the best ones to tell you what your chances are and how you can improve. As for the NAPLEX, most schools offer numerous practice tests throughout the years. I would suggest taking them all and really get the feel for how the questions are worded and asked.

Apply to Pharmacy Schools that don't require the PCAT.
(This benefits California residence since all California pharm Schools do not require the PCAT)

If you still want to take the PCAT, consider the following:

Most likely, your test taking skills are weak and need more practice taking standardized exams under a timed setting.

or

Maybe, You need a review in Sciences and math since you been removed from school for quite awhile.

Once you get a thorough review, sharpen your test taking skills, and timing down, you will score high

The first step is believing You can improve and when your ready, you can think about what you can do to improve your score

Good Luck

p.s. In most cases, A high GPA and >75 PCAT score is good enough for an interview....

Thanks for all the input, especially for the "positive" input. Just some info on me, on the PCAT I knew 80% of all the questions. The time constraints are what killed me and probably a lot of people like me. I'm not saying this to put anyone down, but those that get like 98's well I think they are just smart (smart being people that think and assimilate facts and information much quicker than your average joe) I've talked to people that have taken the PCAT and Naplex they all say they are worlds apart. I learned logarithyms in 10th grade, have never used them except to take a test and so no they aren't a big part of my life. So I'm not worried as naplex being a standardized test in the same sense as the pcat, sat, act. I will be applying next year, both PCAT and non PCAT schools. I just wanted to let you guys know that most everyone on this forum is for everyone else. We're all trying to get to the same place just using different tools. Reading many posts, I've found many people to say that while Pharmacy school is more intense it's not drastically "harder" than undergraduate school. Thanks again everybody, I'm going to stick with it, it's truly what I want to do with my life!!!!

Thanks for all the input, especially for the "positive" input. Just some info on me, on the PCAT I knew 80% of all the questions. The time constraints are what killed me and probably a lot of people like me. I'm not saying this to put anyone down, but those that get like 98's well I think they are just smart (smart being people that think and assimilate facts and information much quicker than your average joe) I've talked to people that have taken the PCAT and Naplex they all say they are worlds apart. I learned logarithyms in 10th grade, have never used them except to take a test and so no they aren't a big part of my life. So I'm not worried as naplex being a standardized test in the same sense as the pcat, sat, act. I will be applying next year, both PCAT and non PCAT schools. I just wanted to let you guys know that most everyone on this forum is for everyone else. We're all trying to get to the same place just using different tools. Reading many posts, I've found many people to say that while Pharmacy school is more intense it's not drastically "harder" than undergraduate school. Thanks again everybody, I'm going to stick with it, it's truly what I want to do with my life!!!!

One can do well on standardized exam by reviewing the science and math sections well and coming up with strategy to take the exam. If you've done enough pratice PCAT exams, you can

-visualize the type of problems that will be asked before you even start on each section of the exam.

-Before you start, look over the whole section to see if they've put the easy ones last or first...then proceed to knock out the easy questions first thus you avoid being stuck on a hard question. (saves on time)

Do this and you will finish each section of exam.

The hard part is putting in the time and effort to retain concepts and information and doing every single PCAT practice tests until you can write your own exam...then you'll be a step closer to scoring higher than everyone else.