Can I complete a Genetics course in two weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustCats

UC Davis SVM c/o 2013!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's something stupid I did. I enrolled in the self-paced Genetics course through UCBerkeley extension and FORGOT about it. I kid you not. I have absolutely no recollection of having enrolled. When I enrolled in Biochem, I guess I enrolled in Genetics too. I didn't plan on starting the genetics course until February. So now I've gotten an email that I have to have the class completed by the 17th--two weeks from now. There are ten assignments and I'm starting today. If I spend all day every day doing genetics for the next two weeks, think I can do it? I would have another two weeks after the 17th to take the proctored final. Did anyone else take this particular genetics course?

For years I've had these dreams about enrolling in a class and then forgetting to go and ultimately failing. Weird, huh? I can still withdraw and reenroll, but I don't want the W unless absolutely necessary and, well, these courses are expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do it. Just stay on task and live, eat, and sleep genetics!:thumbup:

That depends on if you actually want to learn Genetics or if you're only taking it for a prereq and don't care. I'm sure you could get the assignments done if you just live, breathe and sleep it for the next 2 weeks, but for me that would seem like too much of a hassle to be honest, and I'm pretty sure that I'd get burned out even from a topic that I love if I tried to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going into it without any genetics knowledge? Can you withdraw after completing some of the assignments and seeing what the types of questions are? (genetics is either really easy or a killer depending on how the professor approaches testing)

If you have no knowledge, I think you'd have a very hard time pulling it off - but I'm also not one to say that something is impossible. All depends on how you learn and what you already know.

Can you withdraw after completing some of the assignments and seeing what the types of questions are? (genetics is either really easy or a killer depending on how the professor approaches testing)

Wow! There are a lot of us lurking on the forum today. I can complete up to 8 assignments and still withdraw, so I guess I'll follow your implicit advice--try it out and withdraw if necessary. It just seems like such a daunting task to even start. What else have I got to do though except wait for the phone to ring . . .

Okay. I'm hitting the books.:xf:

Not to be a Naysaying Nelly, but I think Berkeley extention will not allow you to submit more then one assignment a week. I hope not, but all the classes I have taken through them that has been the case. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Not to be a Naysaying Nelly, but I think Berkeley extention will not allow you to submit more then one assignment a week. I hope not, but all the classes I have taken through them that has been the case. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Study break!

They do say that in their policy section, but the proffs haven't enforced that in any other class I've taken through them. Still, submitting so much work all at once may be pushing my luck. I'm still going to keep plugging along and see what happens. The worst that can happen is I will have learned a bit about genetics.

Absolutly right.. btw.. totally same boat... but I already talked to my prof. and I have an extension because of a death in my family, and their policies with finishing it.

Genetics I didn't find that hard... although I got lucky, and took A & P already and Micro also.

Justcats glad to hear that you are truckin' away at it. I really enjoyed genetics and thought it was fun. So maybe it will be easy for you too! :xf:

Depends on the prof, the class, and your previous experience.

Everything we covered in my online genetics course I had covered in basic biology, ecology, ethology, molecular biology, or biochemistry. However, our professor liked to put terms not included in any of the class material (including our text) in our exams, and not in such a way that the questions made sense. No one in the class got above a B.

I am not sure I would have the energy to go through an entire class in two weeks, particularly since distance/online classes vary so much in how they frame questions and such for exams. Not sure if UCBerkley has that issue.

quick hijack-

Do you know if this genetics class is considered upper division? After seeing that they offer online genetics I finally went and checked out the course offerings. The genetics I am planning on taking next summer at the local university is only sophomore level, and I know upper division is preferred. The molecular cell bio class also caught my attention.

From looking at some of the courses, I am guessing/hoping that X** is lower division and X1** is upper division. Anyone care to confirm or disagree? Not sure where the XB** fits in though...

P.S. to the OP, good luck and let us know how it goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost through with the second assignment-the 20% mark! It's interesting material. I have had cell bio, physio, and micro so there's nothing completely new yet.

Gone2dogs--it is upper division. XB refers to a course that is the equivalent of an on campus course for matriculated students. X courses are designed for UCB extension.

I'm almost through with the second assignment-the 20% mark! It's interesting material. I have had cell bio, physio, and micro so there's nothing completely new yet.

Gone2dogs--it is upper division. XB refers to a course that is the equivalent of an on campus course for matriculated students. X courses are designed for UCB extension.

Good job!

And thanks for the info! Now I guess I just need to make sure the class will be accepted by my target school(s)... I'd much rather take it online instead of in the summer, especially since I've tentatively been offered a summer job in the clinic where I currently volunteer.

How much does the class cost? I'm thinking of taking it just for "fun" :p

$740! I can think of cheaper ways to have fun . . .:oops:

http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/cat/course358.html

Thanks!!

And after the thousands of $$ extra I put myself in debt to take Microbio and Biochem... $740 actually sounds pretty good. I'll hold off and see if I make it onto the "Class of 2013" list first though...

Let me know what you (or anyone else who's taken it) think of the class :)

If you want to take Genetics just for fun, then I'd recommend taking it face to face at a local University and maybe taking the lab along with it. ;)

oh boy, i know it's been a while since i've taken Genetics, but was working with fruit flies fun? i remember those things being seriously difficult....so, so small

Anyways, Good Luck :luck: JustCats! I'm in Vegas and would love to see the bookie's line on whether you will get this done in time. BTW, i'd put my money on you :D i'm sure you will do fine.

oh boy, i know it's been a while since i've taken Genetics, but was working with fruit flies fun? i remember those things being seriously difficult....so, so small

I worked with Drosophila for my undergraduate thesis research, so I'm used to it!

You think the adults for scoring are small? I had to dissect the larvae with forceps and take little discs out from under their brains! After doing that for long enough, scoring adult flies is like looking at an elephant and saying what color it is. :p

i dun think its possible, i took animal genetics that ran for a whole semester and i juz passed that subject. its quite a difficult topic to master if u dun have any prior knowledge in it

JUSTCATS Just wanted to know how is everything going? Just wanted an update! :D

JUSTCATS Just wanted to know how is everything going? Just wanted an update! :D

Well, I've made it halfway through the written assignments but I've found two issues that are making me consider giving up and doing something more fun, like poking my eyes with needles:

1) As Sumstorm wrote: Everything we covered in my online genetics course I had covered in basic biology, ecology, ethology, molecular biology, or biochemistry. However, our professor liked to put terms not included in any of the class material (including our text) in our exams, and not in such a way that the questions made sense.

I haven't taken an exam yet, but I've found this to be true for the written assignments. Neither the text nor the material the professor provides give enough information to be able to complete his written assignments. I am relying on my notes from other classes and a great book I found called Primer of Genetic Analysis. After I found this book, I figured out that the questions I was having difficulty with were taken word-for-word from this book.

2) As Nyako wrote: That depends on if you actually want to learn Genetics or if you're only taking it for a prereq and don't care. I'm sure you could get the assignments done if you just live, breathe and sleep it for the next 2 weeks, but for me that would seem like too much of a hassle to be honest,

I might have decided it's too much of a hassle and I'm not getting enough out of it.

I'm still plugging away though because I haven't resigned myself to a "W."

Last edited:
Justcats If you have to get a W to keep from getting a D or an F than do it. Don't sacrifice your GPA in order to try to complete your class just take it again.

Justcats If you have to get a W to keep from getting a D or an F than do it. Don't sacrifice your GPA in order to try to complete your class just take it again.

Don't worry 3dogs. I will use that option if necessary . . . or if I get tired of teaching myself genetics the hard way. :)

I'm looking for a good Genetics book, so is "Primer of Genetic Analysis: A Problems Approach" by Thompson, Hellack et al the one you like, JustCats? Good luck with your course!

I'm looking for a good Genetics book, so is "Primer of Genetic Analysis: A Problems Approach" by Thompson, Hellack et al the one you like, JustCats? Good luck with your course!

For problem-solving, yes! It provides excellent step-by-step examples.

Thanks, Nyanko!

JustCats - how is it going? I may be interested in taking that course, so let me know overall what you think of it (I just need it for a pre-req). Hope you're almost done!

Thanks, Nyanko!

JustCats - how is it going? I may be interested in taking that course, so let me know overall what you think of it (I just need it for a pre-req). Hope you're almost done!

You caught me lurking when I should be doing assignments. :oops:

I'll decide tomorrow whether or not I feel like I can finish on time, and if not, I'm going to withdraw.

The main problem I see with the course is that the work can't be done using the required text alone unless you have previous knowledge of the topics. I'd recommend the course though for anyone who actually can take some time to do it. Even on my abbreviated schedule I've learned a lot.

If I do finish the class and take the final, I'll post to let you know what that was like and how it was graded.

I really loved the genetics textbook called "iGenetics" by Russell. To me, this book was easy to read and the cartoons are wonderful. I returned the book after my course (to get some $ back) and bought an old edition of the same book from half.com or amazon because it's a great reference. I've already used it a few times for topics during my M.S. Good luck!

If I spend all day every day doing genetics for the next two weeks, think I can do it?

Nope. Couldn't do it. I think I could have done it had I not also been finishing Biochem--did I mention that in the OP? I'm withdrawing and re-enrolling, so the good news is I've got have the work done already. : )

Justcats glad you didn't kill yourself with your attempt to finish on time LOL

:hijacked:So, I was all jazzed up to sign up for this course, but then figured I should read up on it a little more and now I'm a bit concerned! Keeping in mind that I have limited biology background, if I buy the book and some of the other books mentioned above is this going to be doable and "A"able (I know, it isn't all about the A... it is about learning)? The only "in person" genetics class that is realistic for me to take (ie not require me to miss the last 2 weeks of the school year where I teach) is at my local university, but it is sophomore level. Although I know it is accepted by the school I am applying to, they prefer upper level classes. Furthermore, a chief complaint about my application this year was the fact that I lack upper division bio classes.

Also on a similar note (as long as I am hijacking), has anyone taken the Principles and Techniques of Molecular Cell Biology? It actually sounds sort of similar to the genetics class, but I was thinking of taking it concurrently. Thoughts? If I am understanding the numbering system correctly, I think this is upper level too.

To put this in perspective, the only biology classes I've taken are:
Intro Bio (15 years ago)
Bacteriology and Immunology (13 years ago)
Anatomy and Physiology 1 (last fall at community college)
Microbiology (right now... at cc)
Biochemistry (last summer)

Am I setting myself up for disaster trying these online? Anyone else take these without a strong bio background?

I LMAO when I saw this thread pop back up. Memories . . .

:)

It's do-able; I don't know about A-able. Pomona2006 and I are both taking it right now so she may have input as well. :luck:

hehe i missed this thread first time around.

i have dreams every once in a while along these lines- i'm back in high school or college and forgot about one of my classes and now it's finals time and aaahh! i am always sooo relieved to wake up after those.

i'm on my last assignment for the oklahoma state nutrition course and my year is up on may 30- i have taken almost a whole year to do it! and i'm stalling on the last assignment. it includes a question asking for a one-page response about economic implications of feeding sub-optimal levels of vitamins- a topic mentioned in passing in the course guide- this will take all my skills of fluff and b.s., lol.

I LMAO when I saw this thread pop back up. Memories . . .

:)

It's do-able; I don't know about A-able. Pomona2006 and I are both taking it right now so she may have input as well. :luck:

I was thinking you might find this funny... but since there was already discussion about the course I figured I'd just tack my question on here!

Do it! Do it now! This is one dream you do not want to come true. I speak from experience. :oops:

hehe i missed this thread first time around.

i have dreams every once in a while along these lines- i'm back in high school or college and forgot about one of my classes and now it's finals time and aaahh! i am always sooo relieved to wake up after those.

i'm on my last assignment for the oklahoma state nutrition course and my year is up on may 30- i have taken almost a whole year to do it! and i'm stalling on the last assignment. it includes a question asking for a one-page response about economic implications of feeding sub-optimal levels of vitamins- a topic mentioned in passing in the course guide- this will take all my skills of fluff and b.s., lol.