Can I do a post-bacc program as preparation for a biology Ph.D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

YumIsPeople

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I graduated in May with a B.S. in Neuroscience. Although my overall GPA and major GPA aren't too bad (2.99/3.1), I have *a ton* of withdrawls...and no research experience...and relatively bland letters of recommendation. I think I really need to improve my academic record and show I can do well with a full-load of classes. Now, that I have finally gotten my medical issues sorted out (thank you universe!), I'm thinking of maybe doing a post-bacc to do this. The reason for this is my family has no money for me to retake any courses, so I need to be able to take courses in a way I could get student loans for.

So, am I legally required to try to go to medical school with a post-bacc?
 
So, I graduated in May with a B.S. in Neuroscience. Although my overall GPA and major GPA aren't too bad (2.99/3.1), I have *a ton* of withdrawls...and no research experience...and relatively bland letters of recommendation. I think I really need to improve my academic record and show I can do well with a full-load of classes. Now, that I have finally gotten my medical issues sorted out (thank you universe!), I'm thinking of maybe doing a post-bacc to do this. The reason for this is my family has no money for me to retake any courses, so I need to be able to take courses in a way I could get student loans for.

So, am I legally required to try to go to medical school with a post-bacc?
I can only answer the bolded question: no, not at all.