Can I do a post-bacc program as preparation for a biology Ph.D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YumIsPeople

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I graduated in May with a B.S. in Neuroscience. Although my overall GPA and major GPA aren't too bad (2.99/3.1), I have *a ton* of withdrawls...and no research experience...and relatively bland letters of recommendation. I think I really need to improve my academic record and show I can do well with a full-load of classes. Now, that I have finally gotten my medical issues sorted out (thank you universe!), I'm thinking of maybe doing a post-bacc to do this. The reason for this is my family has no money for me to retake any courses, so I need to be able to take courses in a way I could get student loans for.

So, am I legally required to try to go to medical school with a post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I graduated in May with a B.S. in Neuroscience. Although my overall GPA and major GPA aren't too bad (2.99/3.1), I have *a ton* of withdrawls...and no research experience...and relatively bland letters of recommendation. I think I really need to improve my academic record and show I can do well with a full-load of classes. Now, that I have finally gotten my medical issues sorted out (thank you universe!), I'm thinking of maybe doing a post-bacc to do this. The reason for this is my family has no money for me to retake any courses, so I need to be able to take courses in a way I could get student loans for.

So, am I legally required to try to go to medical school with a post-bacc?
I can only answer the bolded question: no, not at all.

Are you trying to go to medical school or get your PhD?