Can I do it? Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pursuit18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering optometry for years now, but never sat down and thought about the application process. I was applying to dental school last year but withdrew my app after realizing dentistry isn't for me. I've been shadowing optometrists and realized this field suits me much better. I've been studying for the OAT and plan on taking it in July. I have a 3.45 GPA and a 3.30 science GPA and have leadership roles on campus. I've done community service abroad. I looked at the reqs from a few schools and I meet them all. Do you think I can apply this year? Do I stand a chance?

Thanks for the help guys :) Any advice would be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

I've been considering optometry for years now, but never sat down and thought about the application process. I was applying to dental school last year but withdrew my app after realizing dentistry isn't for me. I've been shadowing optometrists and realized this field suits me much better. I've been studying for the OAT and plan on taking it in July. I have a 3.45 GPA and a 3.30 science GPA and have leadership roles on campus. I've done community service abroad. I looked at the reqs from a few schools and I meet them all. Do you think I can apply this year? Do I stand a chance?

Thanks for the help guys :) Any advice would be helpful

You have a pretty good GPA, so make sure to do really well on your OAT and that'll determine which schools you get interviews for. As long as you do well on your OAT, you should have a good chance. Also, make sure to apply as early as possible to have the best shot.